Update on Hooligan 170i Performance Improvements

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Update on Hooligan 170i Performance Improvements

Post by skipper20 »

So-called performance muffler from Scooterworks made no appreciable difference in top speed. And, no difference in sound either. Sounds just like the stock muffler it replaced! I cannot recommend it,

I'm thinking next step is to replace stock 11g rollers with heavier 13g or go the whole route with the NCY performance transmission kit also from Scooterworks. Genuine dealer who did the muffler change over claims their Buddy customers, who have had this NCY transmission done, are raving about it.

Comments anyone?

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in Tucson
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I have the NCY transmission in my buddy 150. It's smooth and I do like it, but it's fairly costly.

A very large percentage of any 'increase' you'll see is in changing sliders. If you go too light, you'll lose some top end and it will 'jerk' on start, as well as rev high, possibly costing you some MPG

I have 11g sliders in my Buddy, seems to be the right mix. Not sure how different the Hooligan transmission is.

Likely you aren't going to drastically change speed. After several scoots, all I can say is (especially with Fuel injected engines), if you're really looking for more speed, more CC's will work.

You can usually get a little more performance with tuning, but engineers generally are pretty smart.

How many miles are on it? Keep in mind they're real tiny engines, and need a while to break in. Then they loosen up a bit. You're still looking at 55-60mph being a realistic top end for most folks with that size engine.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

skully93 wrote:I have the NCY transmission in my buddy 150. It's smooth and I do like it, but it's fairly costly.

A very large percentage of any 'increase' you'll see is in changing sliders. If you go too light, you'll lose some top end and it will 'jerk' on start, as well as rev high, possibly costing you some MPG

I have 11g sliders in my Buddy, seems to be the right mix. Not sure how different the Hooligan transmission is.

Likely you aren't going to drastically change speed. After several scoots, all I can say is (especially with Fuel injected engines), if you're really looking for more speed, more CC's will work.

You can usually get a little more performance with tuning, but engineers generally are pretty smart.

How many miles are on it? Keep in mind they're real tiny engines, and need a while to break in. Then they loosen up a bit. You're still looking at 55-60mph being a realistic top end for most folks with that size engine.
Thanks for your input Skully. It has 730 miles on it and it's had its first scheduled service. Did you lose any hill climbing ability with the NCY transmission on your Buddy 150? That's my biggest concern. Also, how much did your top end speed improve if any? TIA,

Bill in Seattle
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I didn't lose anything. It takes off a little quicker, and it's smooth. I also did the clutch, suspension, etc.

I like the brake pads and bigger brake rotor.

It was kinda pricy, and though I really like it, the sliders really are the most bang for your buck.

If I were you, other than the sliders, I'd wait until you get a few thousand miles on it. They seem to take that long to open up a bit.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

skully93 wrote:I didn't lose anything. It takes off a little quicker, and it's smooth. I also did the clutch, suspension, etc.

I like the brake pads and bigger brake rotor.

It was kinda pricy, and though I really like it, the sliders really are the most bang for your buck.

If I were you, other than the sliders, I'd wait until you get a few thousand miles on it. They seem to take that long to open up a bit.
But did you gain anything in top speed?

Bill in Seattle
skully93

Post by skully93 »

skipper20 wrote:
skully93 wrote:
But did you gain anything in top speed?

Bill in Seattle
Over time, maybe a mph or 2, but that's it. It's a limitation of physics. The sliders might push it a little, but the tuning is subjective. Weight, hills, etc, all play a role. If anything it just smoothed it out. Miles opened it up more than anything.