Buddy 50 Ignition Help (Think it was hotwired).

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

eric52652

Buddy 50 Ignition Help (Think it was hotwired).

Post by eric52652 »

Hello everyone,

I just bought a used buddy 50 (2008) for cheap. I have it all dialed in mechanically and got it running pretty well.

I don't know if the scooter was previously a recovered theft or something, but the ignition switch doesn't shut off the engine. The kill switch and all other electronic components are in working order.

I am good with all the engine and mechanical parts, but I'm a bit lost when it comes to wiring. I haven't taken the cover off to take a look yet, but I will take a look when I have time this weekend. I don't know how to make sense of the wiring diagrams that I have found.

I am planning on replacing the ignition, and the dealer is getting one shipped in. I just want to try to figure this out in the meantime.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Did you have your local PD run the vin before putting money into it? I know this from experience.
eric52652

Post by eric52652 »

I did run the VIN before I bought it. The scooter had been painted black, so I was a bit suspicious. The seller gave me all the original paperwork from when he bought it at the dealer.

I did take the windshield off and take a look. The wiring all seems to be in tact (at least at the ignition switch). My suspicion is that it's a fault in the switch, or there is a wiring issue that is not cutting off the spark somewhere down the line.

When I get some time, I'll talk to the mechanic at the dealer. I've only dealt with the parts guy, who was completely useless and acts like I'm wasting his time every time I buy anything.

I only took a quick look, so it may well have been tampered with and I couldn't see it.

Thanks for the thought! I'm open to any advice, as I'm new to this model of scoot.