Questions About Getting a Blur

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Nerfinator

Questions About Getting a Blur

Post by Nerfinator »

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking at getting a new 2016 Blur this spring but I have some questions. Do they make a top case for it? I know, I know, the style of the Blur doesn't really lend itself to a top case sitting off the rear but I'm a bigger guy (290lb) and will be doing a little highway driving with it along with it being my daily driver in town so I want a scooter that has a bit more storage than under the suit for my helm.

Thats it for now, thanks for having a great community!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Once you get a rear rack on it most any 'universal fit' top case should mount to that.
https://www.scooterworks.com/Prima-Rear ... P8968.aspx
I however prefer an open basket or even a milk crate, that way you're not limited on the size or shape of something that won't fit in a closed case. Though you're negating the locking storage option.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Hopefully you are getting a REALLY good deal on this new 2016 Blur.
chickdr

Re: Questions About Getting a Blur

Post by chickdr »

Nerfinator wrote:Hi Everyone!

I'm looking at getting a new 2016 Blur this spring but I have some questions. Do they make a top case for it? I know, I know, the style of the Blur doesn't really lend itself to a top case sitting off the rear but I'm a bigger guy (290lb) and will be doing a little highway driving with it along with it being my daily driver in town so I want a scooter that has a bit more storage than under the suit for my helm.

Thats it for now, thanks for having a great community!
You mentioned HIGHWAY on your commute. With this in mind I would suggest you look elsewhere as the Blur leaves a lot to be desired with its 15hp motor. Yes, it will hit around 68-70mph, but this is the top speed and shouldn't be done for long periods(plus your weight will drop the top speed a bit too). I would suggest something with a bit more engine such as a Piaggio BV350. Its 33hp gives you an 85mph top speed with the same MPG the Blur offers. Yes, it is more expensive, but you can find them used as well.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Even if the Blur can mostly keep up with traffic, it is always advisable to have at least another 10-15 MPH or more on tap to get yourself out of a developing bad situation. With no reserve power left allowing you to separate yourself from idiot cagers, you will definitely feel like you are exposed and vulnerable.

If you are stuck with highway (Interstate Highway) riding, spend the extra money and go for something more powerful.
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

I concur with the others on this: you will want something with more horsepower. I'm 160lbs and there are times when even I need more power, so at your size you'll want something like a BV350, Bergman 400, etc. They may not be as sexy as the Blur (well, the BV is pretty sweet) but they'll handle the workload much better.

Best of luck!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I have the Buddy 170i and BV350. They make a very beautiful pair! Very complimentary. The 170i can go to the grocery store for quick trips and is happy to go short distances on the highway and on B-roads for rides up to 100 miles. The BV will go just about anywhere you'd want to go on two wheels. It is happy at a real 75 MPH with enough extra power for safety.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Dooglas wrote:Hopefully you are getting a REALLY good deal on this new 2016 Blur.
You REALLY hate the Blur, don't you?!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Dooglas wrote:Hopefully you are getting a REALLY good deal on this new 2016 Blur.
You REALLY hate the Blur, don't you?!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Christophers wrote:You REALLY hate the Blur, don't you?!
I don't hate the Blur. The scooter is what it is. It is, however, a discontinued model that was never very well supported or promoted by Genuine, and has a low resale value. Anyone who buys a new one now should only do so if it is a heck of a bargain. That isn't dislike, that is good advice.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'd love to get a Blur 220i if it were cheap enough, but as others have said, in stock form it doesn't have very much reserve power for highway/freeway riding, especially if your clothing size has any "X"'s in it. The smallish wheel size would also make sustained high speed riding on less than smooth surfaces "exciting". Although my Blur can sustain 70 mph even on hills, it's still scary at that speed because of the small 13" wheels. Pot holes at that speed are like bomb craters and debris on the road are like tree trunks.

With all that said, I'd still want a 220i because in my hands, the engine would be modified to 232cc and 4-valves along with other tweeks just so that I can continue to harass scooter hating big bike owners.:)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The two scoot's on my list to own are the Blur 220 and TMAX 530. Sport scoot's!
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Kennyr44

Post by Kennyr44 »

I love my Blur 220i but Its too light for the highway. I did a long test drove on a new BV350 but it wasn't as much fun as my Blur. If someone gave me the BV and I still had my Blur I would never ride the BV.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Kennyr44 wrote:I love my Blur 220i but Its too light for the highway. I did a long test drove on a new BV350 but it wasn't as much fun as my Blur. If someone gave me the BV and I still had my Blur I would never ride the BV.
Really? What about for highway rides? You just said the Blur is too light for the highway....
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

i have a 07 blur 150 and shes moves top speed of about 67 indicated.
i love it great breaks and handles very well just wish the seat was a bit lower... so it sounds like they droped the blur again.. :evil:
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

teamhurst wrote:i have a 07 blur 150 and shes moves top speed of about 67 indicated.
i love it great breaks and handles very well just wish the seat was a bit lower... so it sounds like they droped the blur again.. :evil:
Scooterworks has a low profile seat available for the Blur. Not sure how much lower it is though.
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

i know been thinking about getting it but at almost 200 bucks ... and all that
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

With such a small number of Blurs on the road the cost for aftermarket parts will always be high.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Looking at the wider picture, compared to what a shop would charge to modify your stock seat, 200 is not all that unreasonable for a brand new complete seat, IMO. At least you'd also have a spare seat in case one gets damaged.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The Burr 220 seems well suited for the FM roads here in Texas, with speed limits between 55 and 65 mph. I wouldn't take it on non-urban freeways.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

wheelbender6 wrote:The Burr 220 seems well suited for the FM roads here in Texas, with speed limits between 55 and 65 mph. I wouldn't take it on non-urban freeways.
Even 55-65 speed limits will tax the Blur. You are right at its top speed.