Looking to sell, should I bother with this repair?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jmpSF

Looking to sell, should I bother with this repair?

Post by jmpSF »

I have a 2008 Buddy International that has always been good and reliable, and it has some blemishes from normal wear and tear. My life changed quite a bit so I stopped riding it about a year and a half ago and failed to ever empty the gas tank. I'm moving soon and won't have garage space to keep it so I'm interested in selling. Obviously my negligence means the bike won't start. Assuming this was the reason, what kind of repair cost am I looking at? I considered just advertising it for $500 as is, does that sound reasonable or is it worth it to get it running? Thanks in advance
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You are looking at a tank clean and a carb clean to get that running. Shop would likely charge $150 give or take to do the work. You don't say how many miles and what kind of shape the rest of it is in, but in running shape that scooter should bring at least twice the price you can get for it now. If it was running fine when you parked it, it is a pretty safe bet that is all you need to get it purring again.

Repairs are fairly easy to do if you are at all handy with tools:

viewtopic.php?t=20718&highlight=clean+125+carb
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If you want to simply get rid of it and are not to concerned with selling price - sure, sell it as is for as few hundred. If it matters to you how much you get for the bike, get it running and then offer it at something closer to Kelly Bluebook or NADA price.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

You will ask $500 for a non-runner and will end up with $300 give or take $50. No one will care if you say it "Ran when parked.", it's a risk to purchase any non running scooter, car or motorcycle. I would haul it to a good shop OR try and tackle it yourself and get a better price for a running scooter.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Two years ago at the end of summer I bought a 2006 125 with 2,400 miles for $500. It had sat for a year and it would not start. It was garaged, in decent shape and P.O. had it for over 6 years. He was asking $600, I picked it up for $500. Pllastic tank just needed drained. The carb jets needed cleaned, and I tore the vacuum diaphragm taking it apart. $28.00 for the replacement part, and it was running great. I sold it for $1,400. The kid who bought it from me rides the tar out of it, and brings it to me every 2,000 miles or so for service. It is still running strong.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I will go with someone to look at a scooter or bike and if I say walk away, they better walk fast! Long story short. I had a Honda Hawk NTV650 that blew a head gasket. I offered it to a friend for $500. He said no thanks, he wants a reliable running bike. So I sold it for $750 to someone else, with full disclosure of my rigged repair. A few years later a NTV pops up for sale for $2000. I go with the same guy I offered mine to originally and we went to look at this one. Something was not right. No test ride, dead battery, etc. I said walk away but my friend still bought it for $1800. He gets it home and cleans the tank and puts in a new battery and it starts. Next day, head gasket blows. Seems the owner fixed his Hawk the same way I fixed mine-he just didnt disclose his "repair". Then, to add insult to injury, I did a DMV check and it was MY OLD HAWK! Plus, the seller kept or lost the crazy expensive tool kit that comes with the bike. My friend did not listen and hopefully learned a valuable lesson from it. Not saying I know all but just enough to survive the used game better than most people.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Oh, and that was a good flip DeeDee. I hate working on stuff more and more and no longer take the chance on a flip opportunity. My carb needs a overhaul on my Buddy 125. I emailed the only shop I trust for a quote but never heard back. I may try to call them OR just man up and do the repair/overhaul myself. It has a erratic idle like a air leak on a 2t. I'm sure its that rubber vac thing that failed.
jmpSF

Post by jmpSF »

Thank you all! I think I'll go ahead and get the quote from the SF shop to start, glad to know the range.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

jmpSF wrote:Thank you all! I think I'll go ahead and get the quote from the SF shop to start, glad to know the range.
Sent you a PM.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I was quoted $195 total/parts included to rebuild the carb on my 09 Buddy 125. Labor rate is $110/hour. I currently have a Can Am Spyder torn apart in the garage (air ride leak) and a lack of time. So thats my base price contribution.
jimmu

Post by jimmu »

Cleaning the carb is easy if your even remotely mechanical, own tools and have confidence.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Year and a half? Is the battery still good?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

So what ever happened to your scoot? I'm fairly experienced with scooter/motorcycle repairs and since you're in the city, if you'd like, PM me and we can make arrangements for me to take a look at your scooter. No charge to look and no charge to repair. Just pay for any parts required from wherever you like.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Welp, looks like I'm going to be a Buddisimo...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

babblefish wrote:Welp, looks like I'm going to be a Buddisimo...
This is my favorite Modern Buddy Happy Ending, ever! We know that Buddy will be running right very soon. Congrats to all involved. :D
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

jrsjr wrote:
babblefish wrote:Welp, looks like I'm going to be a Buddisimo...
This is my favorite Modern Buddy Happy Ending, ever! We know that Buddy will be running right very soon. Congrats to all involved. :D
:D
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Think I should start a new thread to chronicle the transformation of my new acquisition? I might upset a few though because I'm thinking of giving it a new paint scheme.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

babblefish wrote:Think I should start a new thread to chronicle the transformation of my new acquisition? I might upset a few though because I'm thinking of giving it a new paint scheme.
Definitely! Bring it on.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

:+!:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL