Anyone ridden both a rattler 110 and a GROM?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

boyjeenyus

Anyone ridden both a rattler 110 and a GROM?

Post by boyjeenyus »

I really enjoy my Rattler--ridden it for a year and a half, but I'm considering swapping out for a GROM. My deal is that it have to be able to load it on the back of my RV by myself (so 200-240 lbs max). I like gears, spend a good bit of time on gravel/dirt roads, and love the fuel economy of the GROM--it seems like it wouldn't be too tough to swap out to bigger wheels for better traction on loose roads. I'd assume that the acceleration of my Rattler is probably quicker to 40 mph or so, but that the GROM may have a slightly better top speed? I max out around 55 on my Rat.

Anyone ridden them both? I get that one's a scooter and one's a motorcycle :)
Cheers!
Stephen
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Yep, I have. I'd pick the Grom. The Rattler has more wheelie power around town but the Grom is an all-around better bike.
boyjeenyus

Post by boyjeenyus »

Thanks for the reply, buddy! I appreciate it.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

How about the Kymco K-Pipe? Much cheaper than the GROM and looks more like an actual enduro bike.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Where are you located? I would be interested in the Rattler if you are close.

RT
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
boyjeenyus

Post by boyjeenyus »

I'm in Tennessee right now, but my folks live in Gettysbug...I'm up that way pretty regularly. Hit me up here on PM.
Stephen
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

I thought about getting a Grom. The maintenance would be easy and really high MPG is a plus. Problem is there's no storage space and putting a top box or bags on it would be awkward. If I was just going to use it for getting from Point A to Point B locally that would be a different story. Since I need something with high MPG and storage space, decent power, and more general all round utility, the PCX150 is my choice. It's too bad the Genuine dealer I bought my R50 from closed down. I would have considered the Hooligan. My Honda/Kawasaki dealer is closer to my house so when I move up to a bigger scooter it'll be a PCX.

Speaking of Gettysburg, I've been there. . .wow. . .intense. . .there was something about the vibe of the place that struck me before I even knew I was there. Came in from the southern side. Did the loop, Seminary, Cemetery, Little Round Top, and the Museum. It's a place that I'll never forget. Also been to Antietam, Monocacy, and Andersonville. Intense.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I was buzzing along our local highway on the way to work last Friday and what did I pass? A school bus yellow Grom! I think he was maxed out at 60ish mph. I was stunned as most cars run 65 MINIMUM! I pulled up next to him, gave him a thumbs up and got on my way. I was on my Burgman 200, it will cruise 70mph no problem-as long as there are no hills or headwind! Now I know how weird I looked when I used to run my Buddy 125 on the same highway, all tucked in trying to steal the last few mph's from my stock 125cc! Oh, and I would pick a PCX or a Hooligan over a Grom in a second flat! I like my storage and auto transmissions. But Groms and the new Z125's are FUN to ride and clown around on. Never seen a K-Pipe in person, but KYMCO makes nice stuff.
boyjeenyus

Thanks!

Post by boyjeenyus »

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. that PCX looks awesome, but with my bumper rack carrier set up, it's just too heavy for me to take with me on the road. Other than that, it looks SICKO.
Stephen
Mikestib1

Grom

Post by Mikestib1 »

I owned one. Top speed 45 mph, crude 4 speed transmission. About 7 hp. You are shifting gears all the time.
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe
boyjeenyus

Thanks guys!

Post by boyjeenyus »

I went ahead and got the grom to replace my Rattler (which is now for sale). It feels like it has a more consistent pick-up, slightly better top speed (55ish on flat ground for me), and better torque--though some of that is likely just the ability to use the gears to keep it in it's power-band. The suspension feels much better as well. My Ratt definitely rips off the line to 20 mphs or so faster (gotta focus on keeping the front wheel down). Over-all I'm stoked on it so far.
Stephen
Mikestib1

Enjoy the Grom

Post by Mikestib1 »

I'd put a -1 tooth front sprocket, 13 vs 14 for better acceleration and less downshifting. Worked for me. Yoshimura has a really nice exhaust system that bolts up easily. Did both to my Grom. No remap required. If it looks like a little devil, it should act like one. Cheap fun!
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe