RH 50 Rear Rack

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

RH 50 Rear Rack

Post by skipper20 »

I bought a 28 L Prima top case for my '15 RH Sport 50 thinking it would fit on its stock rear rack. No matter which way I place the mounting brackets for the mounting pad it won't attach securely. Is there some special way to make this work or am I going to have to break down and buy the optional larger rear rack which generally sells for about $70.00?

Bill in Seattle
'15 RH Sport 50 Matte Red
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Every Roughhouse I've sold that has a rack, milk crate, basket, etc. has needed the larger luggage rack. Not only is it difficult to securely mount something to, it also blocks the gas tank.

The shop I work as is in the process of closing down, and we have two of the racks left, listed on eBay. I'd be happy to take an offer and save you some money :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Roughho ... RK:MESE:IT
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Yalzin wrote:Every Roughhouse I've sold that has a rack, milk crate, basket, etc. has needed the larger luggage rack. Not only is it difficult to securely mount something to, it also blocks the gas tank.

The shop I work as is in the process of closing down, and we have two of the racks left, listed on eBay. I'd be happy to take an offer and save you some money :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Roughho ... RK:MESE:IT
I just now did and thanks!

Bill in Seattle
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Just got it. I'll have it in the mail tomorrow. We definitely appreciate the business! :)
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Yalzin wrote:Just got it. I'll have it in the mail tomorrow. We definitely appreciate the business! :)
Got it installed last night. Getting the little spreader tubes to fit properly takes a bit of patience but other than that, no problem. The Prima 28 L top case went on nicely so now I can pick up some extra groceries. Thanks Yalzin. It was a very nice experience dealing with you.

Bill in Seattle
'16 RH Sport 50 Matte Red
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Those racks can be a pain to put on. Though I've done quite a few, I still haven't figured out a trick other thank "I hope this works I hope this works I hope this works oh it finally fit."

Glad you have the storage going. Definitely a pleasure :)
KooK

Post by KooK »

Is the new rack really that much bigger than the stock rack? I almost bought a rack, but had nothing to compare it to.. pics please
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

KooK wrote:Is the new rack really that much bigger than the stock rack? I almost bought a rack, but had nothing to compare it to.. pics please
Check it out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prima-Rear-Rack ... -v&vxp=mtr

As you can see, it's taller and extends back further than the stock rack. It's designed to securely mount a top case but more importantly, it gives you plenty of room to remove and replace the gas cap.

Bill in Seattle
'16 RH Sport 50 Matte Red
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Bill-
Did you get rid of your Hooligans?
How are you liking the RH in comparison?
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Whimscootie wrote:Bill-
Did you get rid of your Hooligans?
How are you liking the RH in comparison?
Nope, Still have both Hooligans. One in Seattle and one in Tucson, AZ where I'm currently wintering.

I bought the RH 50 because it fits nicely on the rear MC rack of a small, compact travel trailer that I've been restoring. The area in western Washington that I'll be camping in has 40-45 mph speed limits on paved roads so the 42 mph GPS confirmed RH and its relatively light 198 lbs. dry weight will be ideal. And, it's a very sporty little machine. It's take-off acceleration is very impressive. But, it has its place and the Hoolis have their place so I'm good with all 3. Happy New Year!

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in Tucson with my '15 Hooligan
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Back atcha! Glad you are enjoying all your scoots!
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
kg21

Post by kg21 »

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the Prima Rack on a RH50 Sport.

1. Does it Fit?

2. Do you use the provided screws or the original from the scooter?

3. Can you still use the side reflectors attached to the the original Rack?

Thank you for all your help!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Here is a close up of it. Doesn't look like there are mounts for the OE reflectors.

Here is a cheaper one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prima-Rear-Rack ... SwYHxWMDYP

kg21

Post by kg21 »

That's what I have. The OE reflectors appear to be just a mounted on a plate that the bolt goes through. I haven't takin the old rack off yet so maybe someone will know if they have done it on a Sport.
jman

Post by jman »

The reflectors don't mount on the rack I had to get sick one refectors to mount on the body. i also mounted refectors on my basket
kg21

Post by kg21 »

DI'd you use the bolts that came with the rack?
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

kg21 wrote:DI'd you use the bolts that came with the rack?
I don't remember if I used the bolts that came with the new rack or not. If I did it was because the rack stuck out more than the OEM rack so a longer bolt was needed in certain areas. There was no problem mounting the original reflectors. It all went together very nicely with the parts on hand.

Bill in Seattle
kg21

Post by kg21 »

Great thank you Bill! Just the answer I was looking for.