Anybody have experience with TaoTao?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PhillyKick

Anybody have experience with TaoTao?

Post by PhillyKick »

Found this while cruising craigslist last night, wonder if it's worth checking out. It's in philly, so if anyone in the area is cruising for a CHEAP scoot, this might be your thing

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/6049950959.html
joebug

Post by joebug »

For a couple hundred bucks looks like a deal... if I were close I'd grab it and leave it at my job to run around the complex... they have their issues but most are easily fixed.
paracer

Post by paracer »

joebug wrote:For a couple hundred bucks looks like a deal... if I were close I'd grab it and leave it at my job to run around the complex... they have their issues but most are easily fixed.
I agree. It would also be a great ride to hot-rod. You could go crazy with a big bore kit and not worry about blowing it up.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

China scoots require a certain amount of tinkering and maintenance. If you like that kind of stuff, it could be a good deal.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

A friend let me borrow his a while back for a few weeks. They're OK for the money, but the brakes are terrible and they don't handle all that well due to poor shocks. Mainly, the front/rear shocks don't seem to have any or very little dampening. The overall build quality is, um, lets say not up to Taiwan or Japanese standards. I saw some pretty questionable design decisions on the one I had. But, for the money, I'd buy one just to fart with. The price in that Craigslist ad is pretty reasonable, and it looks like he's willing to take offers. I say do it! :D

Just for reference:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/6048127401.html
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

babblefish wrote:They're OK for the money, but the brakes are terrible and they don't handle all that well due to poor shocks. Mainly, the front/rear shocks don't seem to have any or very little dampening. The overall build quality is, um, lets say not up to Taiwan or Japanese standards. I saw some pretty questionable design decisions on the one I had.
You've got this right. My own personal opinion is that my life is too short already. I'm not going to try to further truncate it by riding a poorly built Chinascoot. In other words - your call, but go into it with eyes open.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I would pass.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I think Tao Tao is probably ok to take a chance with for that dab of money. Looks like a Zuma!
I've seen a bunch of them out and about. Probably one of the ''better'' cheap scoots. Better than Wild Fires, for sure.
If you ride it let us know...
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm gonna pass on it, I figure 350 is cheap, but it's wiser to put that money towards a house and not a third motor vehicle (barely drive my car, have a perfectly functioning scoot already)