Rattler LED taillight from a Ducati

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rattler110_818

Rattler LED taillight from a Ducati

Post by rattler110_818 »

I noticed that a Ducati S4R is exactly the same as the Rattlers. This light is perfect. Integrated turn signals and license plate led. I want one.
Im hoping to get one next month.
You can get one here.
http://www.motodynamic.com/index.php?cP ... 8ud5qni637
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l5i_dDU8O2w&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l5i_dDU8O2w&hl ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
Attachments
led tail light.jpg
led tail light.jpg (130.15 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
2011 Genuine Blur SS 220i
2009 Genuine Rattler 110
2009 Tomos St *Sold*
2001 Yamaha Zuma *Sold*
1990 Honda Elite 50 *Sold*
1987 Honda Aero 50 *Wrecked*
1984 Honda Magna 700
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

I like it. Let us know how the install goes. The price is middle of the road for me. High enough I won't run out to get it but low enough I'll think about it. You can but knockoff R1 lights on fleabay really cheap. They look to be about the same size.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

Keep in mind that if you swap to LED turn signals then either in-line resistors or a replacement LED-compatible flasher may be needed, since the LED blinkers draw much less current than incandescent bulbs do...otherwise, the OEM flasher won't detect the draw and you'll get a rapid flash rate that may not pass DMV safety inspection in your area. That may or may not be important to you. In essence, the OEM flasher can't distinguish between a burned out incandescent bulb and a good LED.
rattler110_818

Post by rattler110_818 »

Just picked up tail light. Will post pics latet.
2009 Genuine Rattler 110
2009 Tomos St *Sold*
2001 Yamaha Zuma *Sold*
1984 Honda Magna 700
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

BO2S4 is right. You'll need a new flasher relay. The stock relay is the part that goes "click, click, click" when you activate your turn signals. One thing to be careful about is the voltage fluctuations the tail light will be subject to. LEDs don't like inconsistent power. I burned out a LED tail light bulb because of that. Some kind of a line conditioner/ capacitor would handle that issue. I learned from my mistake. Heck, maybe that unit has one built in.
EZPZ #65
rattler110_818

Post by rattler110_818 »

It was actually a plug and plag. Had no issues, blinker blinks just fine. Only issue was that is flickers @ idle. Will post pics and video soon.
2009 Genuine Rattler 110
2009 Tomos St *Sold*
2001 Yamaha Zuma *Sold*
1984 Honda Magna 700
rattler110_818

Post by rattler110_818 »

here is the video
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u2IEQDM-YqM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u2IEQDM-YqM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
2009 Genuine Rattler 110
2009 Tomos St *Sold*
2001 Yamaha Zuma *Sold*
1984 Honda Magna 700
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Wow if that's what you call working fine then I have some land to sell you, its ONLY a little swampy.
rattler110_818

Post by rattler110_818 »

agrogod wrote:Wow if that's what you call working fine then I have some land to sell you, its ONLY a little swampy.
You do need to take into consideration its a 2T. Even the stock bulbs flickered.
2009 Genuine Rattler 110
2009 Tomos St *Sold*
2001 Yamaha Zuma *Sold*
1984 Honda Magna 700
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Yes it did. That's what can fry an LED. Find a way to get consistant voltage to that light or it will burn out waaaay prematurely. Thankfully I only burned a $30 led bulb. Other than that it does look pretty darn cool 8)
EZPZ #65
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Please excuse my questions here as I have no knowledge of the Rattler. I'm looking for info on the tail/brake light connector. Does anyone here have a pick? Is it a three prong connector like this?

And rattler110_818, have you measured your voltage at idle and at high RPM's? I make LED voltage regulators for the Buddy. I might be able to wire one up for your tail light.

I assume the stock tail/brake light was an incandescent bulb, yes?
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Lil Buddy wrote:Please excuse my questions here as I have no knowledge of the Rattler. I'm looking for info on the tail/brake light connector. Does anyone here have a pick? Is it a three prong connector like this?

And rattler110_818, have you measured your voltage at idle and at high RPM's? I make LED voltage regulators for the Buddy. I might be able to wire one up for your tail light.

I assume the stock tail/brake light was an incandescent bulb, yes?
Stock tail/brake light is LED. Signals are incandescent.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

The 110 didn't get the LED tail light :cry:
EZPZ #65
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

With the Ducati S4R tail light swap, are the plugs and everything the exact same also? True plug and play, or is it just the correct dimensions? Thanks
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

SuperCyclone.81 wrote:With the Ducati S4R tail light swap, are the plugs and everything the exact same also? True plug and play, or is it just the correct dimensions? Thanks
It seems that the plugs and dimensions are good but you need to change the flasher unit to an LED friendly one.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
15uzu

Post by 15uzu »

Hmmmmm........I know I have LED brake & indicator already on the X-Hot.....but that looks pretty trick.......might have to look into it.... 8)
SuperCyclone.81

Nice, how much do one of those things typically cost? Although the guy that did the swap acted like he didn't need one?
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Check out this site http://voodooscooterparts.com/Voodoo_Products.html and go to the bottom of the page.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
SuperCyclone.81

How much of the plastics do I need to remove to remove the tail light? Also does anyone know if I'm going to need to remove the gas tank. Thanks
SuperCyclone.81

I finically broke down and bought a Ducati tail light off eBay for around $38 shipped and it came in yesterday. So I stripped down my rat, more so than I needed because I hadn't torn it down yet, but got it all apart, light hooked up, and all back together with no missing pieces. Haha the light is for a Ducati SR4 Monster I think, but it's smoked with integrated blinkers. Looks pretty clean in my opinion but I'll try to up load some pictures later today of the final project.
SuperCyclone.81

Ok here the pics that I took yesterday, I can take more if anyone wants to see different angles and what not.

bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

install ok? i only ask because i'm sure you can get ducati lights, and knock offs.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
SuperCyclone.81

Ya I'm sure this is a knock off light, I found it on eBay for a little under $40 bucks and it was smoked, so ya I doubt it's real haha. The install went pretty smoothly though. I removed all the plastics in the back, the seat, and the gas tank to get to it though so that was a pain but it was a nice day out so I didnt really mind it any. I did have to go to autozone and get a LED resister so the bike wouldn't hyper blink because I didn't buy the relay.
xdanx

Post by xdanx »

Would this light work with a 2013 Roughhouse? Also the voodoo website listed above is no longer in business. Do you think this universal relay would work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Turn- ... 22&vxp=mtr

Thanks in advanced for the help.
vmaxrattler110

You must wire the running light to the 12v orange ignition

Post by vmaxrattler110 »

Hi, I noticed nobody shed light on why this tail light would flicker. The reason that the tail light flickers is the Rattler runs AC power at both the rear running light and the front low beam. You need to wire the rear running light to the orange wire at your ignition switch so you get just 12 volts DC and turns on and off with the key.

Motodynamic lights like I have are protected from over voltage so it will regulate it to the necessary power for the running light. I spent a good deal of time talking to the owner of motodynamics about this and can say that this is by far one of the nicest Lights I've seen.

This is what I did I had the exact same problem and now it runs just fine no flicker at all. If you look at the wiring diagram you'll see vet the wires go directly to the headlight from the alternator without passing through the battery this also connects with the rear running light that is why you are getting a flicker because it's only getting AC power.

Please use this information to save you some time and money so you don't have to have anybody else wire it up for you.