Mild hop up

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mikestib1

Mild hop up

Post by Mikestib1 »

Scooterworks, a company related to Genuine sells many items where they say this will void your warranty
They do have one performance exhaust that will not void the warranty. They advised me to get one, plus a 90 main jet and a 42 pilot jet as well as Dr. Pulley 9 gram slider weights. Haven't broken in my RH50 but will do this mod at 600 miles. Since my dealer removed the exhaust restriction and the washer in the variator, it runs great stock. Just looking for a little more power and top speed.
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

If you modify any part of the engine or transmission and something goes wrong, it won't be covered under warranty. Warranty 101
Mikestib1

Warranty

Post by Mikestib1 »

It's up to your local dealer whether or not he submits the claim. I've also worked at dealerships and know warranty 2.0. Don't know why you are such an expert. Worked 10 years at motorcycle dealerships and another 10 in automobiles. Done with this thread. You are of course, the expert
50 motorcycles and scooters from age 16 to 67. Loved every one but always had to sell one to buy the next, damn shame of economics. After spine surgery it's been all scooters. The light weight and CVT transmissions will let me ride as long as I breathe
Mikestib1

Just put it back to stock

Post by Mikestib1 »

Put the stock exhaust back on and the rollers and who knows. Of course a BBK is another thing.and I'm not doing that as I also own a bigger scooter.
Don't see the point of spending many hundreds of dollars hopping up a 50. Get a motorcycle license and just buy a bigger bike.insurance on a 50 and a 150 is the same for me with Geico.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

for the prima pipe I jetted to 95, 4.8 gram rollers, 1500 rpm clutch spring. I'd skip the prima and get something else. Its peaky and midrange is dead. its annoying on the hills around here. I always wanted to try a v8 pipe.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Seems that your dealer is trying to keep you at "legal" 50 speed, which is 30 mph in most states. Putting in 9 gram weights will give you sluggish starts and more than likely limit your top end speed. Just the opposite of what you are trying to achieve.
Since you want to stay mostly stock a 6 - 6.5 gram weight and a 1500 spring should give you your desired results without forking out huge amounts of cash. If you live in a very hilly area you could bump the spring up to 2000.
Re-jetting should be in the 85 - 90 range but I don't think you need to touch the pilot jet with that particular setup.
If you enjoy the high gas mileage with the stock setup you can kiss that goodbye with the rejet, expect 65 to 75 mpg depending on your riding style.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

lovemysan wrote:for the prima pipe I jetted to 95, 4.8 gram rollers, 1500 rpm clutch spring. I'd skip the prima and get something else. Its peaky and midrange is dead. its annoying on the hills around here. I always wanted to try a v8 pipe.
That's the funny thing about 2-strokes, the more power it makes, the higher up in the power band that power comes, especially with small displacement engines. Nature of the beast, I'm afraid. Way back when, I remember riding a friends modified 125cc dirt bike that had good power, at 10,000+ RPM. Problem was, nothing under that, and the power band was only about 1000 RPM wide.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Mikestib1

Mild

Post by Mikestib1 »

Atony posted his experience with the exhaust. It works better than stock at all rpm.
dasscooter

Re: Warranty

Post by dasscooter »

Mikestib1 wrote:It's up to your local dealer whether or not he submits the claim. I've also worked at dealerships and know warranty 2.0. Don't know why you are such an expert. Worked 10 years at motorcycle dealerships and another 10 in automobiles. Done with this thread. You are of course, the expert
Ah, well aren't you a ray of sunshine. I'll keep that in mind the next time you come here asking for free help since you don't actually need it, apparently. You just have nothing better to do.
Mikestib1

Smiling on my scooter

Post by Mikestib1 »

I get a lot of useful info, thank you all. Especially from those with direct experience who are helpful with their experience rather than opinions. Like we say opinions are like.... Fill in the blanks. So many people have agendas, I just thank the forum for those who are helpful. I'm new to the ego over actual knowledge. Guess I'll learn
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

I see that help is not needed here
Last edited by dasscooter on Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KooK

Post by KooK »

lol, I have nothing to add, but LOL. oh the irony of it all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

i hope you know what you're talking about :lol: LOL.

(sorry, I couldn't help it) LOL
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

I see that help is not needed here
larrball

Post by larrball »

dasscooter wrote:I see that help is not needed here
Not true, he's wanting more POWER on a 50cc 2T yet as we all 'should' know.
Power = Displacement.
How is he going to get more power with the same Displacement?
If it's 'Speed' hes after then i understand, just might take a bit longer to get there untell the CVT belt tops out.

Now a 70cc kit(full kit) with rear up gear (keeping that power band in check) and we just might get the best of both . :)
Now he could go with a bigger kit if he likes doing bottom end work but that's no fun.

Ride safe kids.
2009 Jonway VIP 4T
2016 Roughhouse Sport Ti 2T
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Hey dasscooter, chill out, we all get in a heated debate from time to time. Don't let emotion cloud reason.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing