Electric starting issues. Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

compgeek 1979

Electric starting issues. Buddy 50

Post by compgeek 1979 »

So to start the scooter I turn the key on, flip the kill/run switch, hold the break and press the start button.... Should start yes?.... Nope. Starter doesn't engage as if i wasnt even pressing the start button. Now if I hold the kill/run switch (pressing very hard), hold the break and press the start button it starts. Then I'm fine. The kill/run switch stays on and everything is good. So it's not the battery or engine. It has to be in the kill/run switch right?

How do I troubleshoot this?
Last edited by compgeek 1979 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2015 Buddy 50 8700 miles all original
VSP

Post by VSP »

You are holding the brake, right?
Voodoo [voo-doo] -adjective. Claimed or reputed to provide an ingenious or seemingly magical solution to a problem. <A HREF="http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic29569.html">Get your VOODOO here</A>
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

The kill switch is deactivated, right?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
compgeek 1979

Post by compgeek 1979 »

I apologize, yes I am holding the break. The kill switch is set to run and i have to press the kill switch very hard and hold the break and press the starter button for it to start.... I believe the issue is in the kill/run switch.
2015 Buddy 50 8700 miles all original
VSP

Post by VSP »

Yes, sure sounds like the kill switch is either faulty or the wires attached to it are loose.

I haven't dealt with it personally but it looks like you have to remove the headset to gain access to the switch
Voodoo [voo-doo] -adjective. Claimed or reputed to provide an ingenious or seemingly magical solution to a problem. <A HREF="http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic29569.html">Get your VOODOO here</A>
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Something like this happened to me years ago. I used to ride my scooter in the rain and would let it sit out in torrential downpours. They said water got in the switch and rusted or corroded the connection. It was cleanable but, by then, I had already replaced the whole assembly since the old one needed to be taken off and opened up.

EDIT: Excuse me. My problem was not the kill switch but the ignition button. The ignition button got rust inside or something and prevented a connection.