2008 Buddy 150 - Many issues - Related?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bcolladay

2008 Buddy 150 - Many issues - Related?

Post by bcolladay »

I'm including everything that might have something to do with an issue I'm having. Don;t skip ahead to the end, this is a page turner...

Part I
Last summer I lost the key and couldn't find the spare key to my Buddy. After a couple of month's I broke down and took the ignition switch out and had a key made. It was kind of a pain in the butt they didn't really get it put back together very well and I finally got it "working" but the key no longer doubles as a kill switch. It shuts the lights off but you have to use the kill switch to shut it off.

Part II
Rode like that for a few months. Shortly after getting the key taken care of I noticed that the headlight wasn't working. The high beam indicator is always on but no light cometh forth.

Part III
I was riding Olive to a motorcycle run in Cassoday KS (about 70 miles) and I noticed soon after I took off that it would stall at 50 MPH while cruising. I just had to let it coast down to about 20 MPH then I could usually accelerate back to 50 - 55 for whiles again. It did this for the first 35 miles or so then it started running fine the rest of the way there and back.

Part IV
About 3 weeks after the bike rally, I hadn't had any problems other than the headlight since the bike run, I was getting ready for my human buddy and I to take a little ukulele pub crawl on my scooters. It was a cool October morning so I was letting Olive warm up in the driveway. All of a sudden I notice she was not running. This was not her typical behavior ever. A quick troubleshooting showed she had no spark. So we switched to one scooter and one motorcycle and went on our way. I put olive away for the winter and finally decided to see what the problem was 2 weeks ago.

Part V
I ordered a coil and CDI kit from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UL ... UTF8&psc=1

I put the coil on first since I knew where it was. I noticed that the leads to the coil were melted. (picture at the bottom) - The coil replacement didn't fix it. Once I found the CDI and replaced it, she fired right up.

I took her for a ride and immediately knew it wasn't quite right. It would bog down at about 30 on the speedometer. The only way to get it over 40 is to feather (like pumping the gas pedal in a car) the throttle till it gets enough speed, then it will hold that speed.

Part VI
So I'm wondering is there some electrical explanation that would explain all of this? It all seemed to start when I had the ignition switch apart. And it seems like the melted wires to the coil were and/or are an issue.

Thanks for any input.
08 Buddy Italia 150 Prima pipe, Bando CDI and coil, Voodoo BOB adapter Bought from bgwss

GearsAndSuch

Post by GearsAndSuch »

You may have two or three problems.
1) It's likely the high beam element is burnt out on the blub. The Blue light but no highbeam is charactaristic. You can check it by looking closely at the bulb with the scooter off. If not, there is a loose contact somewhere.
2) It sounds like the contacts in the ignition switch are not aligned right. I bet they're bouncing or rattling and sometimes the contacts for the orange wire (check buddy wiring diagram) are going from on to kill (grounds CDI)
3) If the ignition switch is not the problem, this might be a coil/stator issue.
4) Bonus: I see you have a voodoo deadlight mod. They rock, but the crimp connectors used can come loose and cause 'issues'.... see if they look/feel ok.
bcolladay

Post by bcolladay »

I finally just sold it running but not running well. I did find that the voodoo wiring was also not having fun. I'm not sure what the thing was in there but it was getting very hot. The left turn signal worked, but the left did not. But the left signal was glowing faintly always. I unhooked the voodoo wiring and both turn signals started working.

I never looked at the ignition switch but that seems likely. I'll pass this on to the guy that bought it. A bad ground is what it felt like to me. The headlight bulb looked good I inspected it with a magnifying glass because old eyes.

Thanks for the info.
08 Buddy Italia 150 Prima pipe, Bando CDI and coil, Voodoo BOB adapter Bought from bgwss

bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I just saw this. Sorry to hear this. :cry: