Buddy 170i on the highway

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Iowa Racer

Buddy 170i on the highway

Post by Iowa Racer »

Today I rode my Buddy 170 on the highway. I did now want to. But I took a wrong turn and there was no place to go. I only had to ride to the next exit and and get off. But that was five miles. Fortunately it was noon on a Monday seventy six degrees. Light wind and nice sunshine. There was minimal traffic.

All that aside it was fine. The speed limit was 55 mph and I could stay above sixty going almost seventy on a little downhill. I would not try this on an interstate or even a road with high traffic and a seventy mph limit. But really I just sat in the right lane and followed the car ahead. A couple cars passes and it was no big deal.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I've ridden my 1985 Honda Elite 150cc on a 3 lane highway through some mountain passes. The key here? Situational awareness. It does help to find a vehicle going the same speed as you are and stay behind it.

Not my thing to do, but it was the only way to get through those passes, and the quickest way to do it.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
skully93

Re: Buddy 170i on the highway

Post by skully93 »

Iowa Racer wrote:Today I rode my Buddy 170 on the highway. I did now want to. But I took a wrong turn and there was no place to go. I only had to ride to the next exit and and get off. But that was five miles. Fortunately it was noon on a Monday seventy six degrees. Light wind and nice sunshine. There was minimal traffic.

All that aside it was fine. The speed limit was 55 mph and I could stay above sixty going almost seventy on a little downhill. I would not try this on an interstate or even a road with high traffic and a seventy mph limit. But really I just sat in the right lane and followed the car ahead. A couple cars passes and it was no big deal.
Keep in mind that your speedo is likely pretty optimistic. if it says 65, you're probably doing @55.

We've done it too for short stints. Not a big deal until everyone is going 90.