Added In-Line Fuel Shut-Off Valve

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

R50Rider

Added In-Line Fuel Shut-Off Valve

Post by R50Rider »

It was kind of a pain in the neck but I was able to install a fuel line shut-off valve without having to remove the pet carrier or side cover. Also I think the fuel line is smaller than 1/4 inch but I was able to get it installed on the 1/4 inch valve fitting. Used two traditional hose clamps and good to go. Attached a pic to show it's location. I tried to put it closer to the carburetor to minimize the amount of fuel downstream when it's shut off. :atgatt:
Attachments
100_4358a.jpg
100_4358a.jpg (31.85 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Here's another pic. I don't advise or recommend anyone to install a fuel line shut off valve but for me it was something I chose to do. One can try to replace carburetor parts or autocock or whatever from Genuine Scooter Parts inventory if they want to keep their scooter totally to original manufacturers specifications. That being said I've seen where these fuel line shut off valves are also useful on garden tractors, lawn mowers, and other lawn equipment.

The important thing is that if you do have one of these installed on your equipment it's important to remember to turn it on before you use it and turn it off when you are done. . . .

I took the Roughhouse for about a 6 mile test ride today and it ran strong from idle to WOT. . .so far so good. :atgatt:
Attachments
100_4356a.jpg
100_4356a.jpg (33.21 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
KooK

Post by KooK »

Was there a reason why you did this? Just curious.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Yup. . .I was getting fuel in my air cleaner cover. It seems to be a common problem with 49cc scooters. It's usually either a failure of the autocock (petcock) related to a vacuum loss or defective diaphragm, the float needle in the carburetor bowl not making a good seal, or sometimes blow back from the engine due to worn reeds. Over filling the gas tank can cause it also. I read where people had replaced floats and needles in carburetors or autococks (petcocks) and in a matter of time they started having problems again. So I figured I'd just cut to the chase and go "old school" with a manual in-line shut off valve and wait and see if that solves the problem. If it does then for less than $10 I've solved my problem and my scooter still runs like a top. I just installed it today. The valve had 1/4 inch fittings but since it was so difficult to get the fuel line onto it I'm thinking the Roughhouse uses 3/16 inch fuel line. It was doable but a real pain. I'll post my results moving forward and let everyone know if it works consistently. I looked around to see what size the Roughhouse fuel line was but couldn't find the spec anywhere. They are good quality hoses though. . .I'll say that! :atgatt:
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

It's working. . .

Day 2 a success.

No sign of gas on the CVT cover. . .

I'll continue to observe after I ride it again a few times.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

This is awesome, thanks for sharing.

This may also be helpful with storage for winter -- turn the fuel off with the scooter running so that it uses up what is left inside the carb. Stabilize the fuel before hand if you're worried about left overs.

I've seen quite a few scooters load up full of gas, it seems like the 2 stroke carbs are more likely to keep a vacuum on the petcock valve that allows fuel to load up inside the carb and over flow out of the air filters.

Smart.
The red ones are faster.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

The float needle's seat in your carb needs to be polished in order to seal correctly. That and make sure your fuel tap is working and you won't have to deal with that.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Great video!

Thanks for the info. I have pulled carbs apart before on other engines and know what to look for but that's the first time I ever saw a fix like the one you showed. I'll bet Semi-Chrome polish would work also. . .

Later in the spring when the weather warms up I may pull the carb and take a look. In the mean time my problem is solved and the R50 runs great. Fingers crossed the energy companies don't raise the level of ethanol in gasoline. It really causes issues. . .
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

The shut-off valve continues to do it's job. I'm beginning to think the problem may be with the carburetor and not so much with the autocock. I've found that when I return from a trip and shut the motor off right away and then turn off the fuel I still get a slight bit of gas odor. But if I shut the fuel off while the motor is still running and let it idle for another minute I don't get the gas smell. So it seems to me at this point the float needle in the carburetor bowl may be having problems. . .either from contamination. . .or it's worn. Of course it could be a bad float but I won't know for sure until I pull it apart in the Spring. Just a theory. But other than that it's as reliable as can be. :atgatt:
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Just as a side note I'm posting this on Monday January 30th, 2017 at close to 8:30PM. But the posting time and date on this is going to say Tuesday in the early morning hours. I know they had problems with the site for a couple days. . .wonder if the clock is off. . . :atgatt:
Gadzeno

Post by Gadzeno »

I ended up doing the same thing. I actually changed out my fuel lines as well to a slightly bigger ( i believe 3/16) fuel line. I also changed out the fuel filter. Works like a charm. Great idea