Buddy 50s.... couple questions on brakes

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasong222

Buddy 50s.... couple questions on brakes

Post by jasong222 »

(For a Buddy 50 2015)

Hey,

So I was wondering:

1. How to tell when the brakes need to be looked at/replaced. My guess would be if the grips start to feel 'squeezy', especially after mabye being adjusted/tightened several times. And then especially if it starts to feel 'scratchy'. (Like if the pad seems to be catching on something and is jerky).

1a follow-up - just so I know when I might should start paying more attention to it, around what milage should I start to think about having the breaks looked at/replaced? (It's heavy city stop-go riding, NYC)

2. Anyone know any good vids/resources for manually tightening the grippage oneself?

Thanks!

-J
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Your rear brakes should last a real long time - 15,000 miles plus. Front ones should last 7,000 miles or longer. When you do your front pads, you should flush and bleed the system. There is a simple adjustment to keep the rear brake lever tight. You need this more for the brake cable stretching slightly instead of brake pad wear.
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

Thanks!

I had no idea they'd last that long... but I guess that makes sense if I think about it... I'm more thinking about time than distance. So I definitely have some time before I need them looked at, lol...

Thanks for the info-

Quick follow up-

And detail on what the bike's behaviour will be as the brakes start going bad? ie- what the signs are that an inspection is overdue?
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Your back brakes are likely to squeal as the miles add up. This is just telling you the pads need cleaned. Every time you change the rear tire, be sure to sand the pads with 100 grit sand paper and brush off the dust with a chip brush. Clean the drum with brake cleaner and dry before putting the wheel back on. I've honestly never seen the rear pads wear out. As you hit 6,000 miles and above, check the thickness of the front pads. You can get down there with a flash light and see how much meet is left. It's a good idea to flush and bleed the front brake system every 5 years or so.
jasong222

Excellent

Post by jasong222 »

Excellent, thanks.

There's actually a pretty decent repair guy in the neighborhood that I use to do all that. I could do it, but I'm in an apartment and park basically on the street so no space, tools, time, etc.

But I would need to know the basic warning signs of when to go, though, and basic adjustments that require only a screwdriver or two are ok....

Thanks again-
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The rear brake adjustment is simple. You can search this forum, or check youtube. You can do it with no tools. There is no adjustment for the front brakes. Visual inspection of the pad thickness is it. You have a long way to go before you need to worry about either. Just be sure to clean the rear brakes when the rear wheel needs to come off for a tire change which is usually from 6 to 8k.
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

Hey DeeDee- that's super helpful, thanks!
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....