buddy will start and run for 3 seconds and then die

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cornwam

buddy will start and run for 3 seconds and then die

Post by Cornwam »

I have a 2012 Buddy 125 that will start but dies a few seconds afterward. The battery is fully charged and a good battery. I took the carb apart to clean it but it is pristine. I sprayed carb cleaner in the valves and reassembled it. When I put it back together, a lot of gas came out of a little tube at the top of the carb. When I tried to start it, the same thing happenend but now the battery died.

I recharged the battery, loosened the float valve screw holding the pin, and added a half can of Seafoam. It started strong and idled for 5 seconds and died.

It won't turn over when I kick it and when I use the electric start, it turns over strong but won't start.

Is this a starter issue????
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Sounds like the float level is set too high. There is a Buddy service manual in the Technical Library. Look up the float setting and check yours. There is also the possibility that there is still a small piece of dirt in the float needle valve or it's seat causing it to not close all the way.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Wait, you added half a can of Seafoam?! :shock:
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

JettaKnight wrote:Wait, you added half a can of Seafoam?! :shock:
Yikes! I didn't see that! Dude, it should be one once per gallon of gas. No wonder his engine runs poorly.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.