New to me 2T

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mkassel

New to me 2T

Post by mkassel »

Just trailered home a good to very good condition 2005 Stella 2T. Got it for a decent price here in Michigan. Before driving home, I decided it would be a good idea to turn the fuel to the off position. An hour or so later (it had been raining on the ride up, not hard, but steady, and the Stella was not covered) I got it home, off the trailer and tried to start it. It did, by the way, smell like gas while I was taking it off the trailer, before I tried to start it. Anyway, after one kick I realized the petcock was off so I set it to on. Still, no go. Choke was out, choke in, nothing. Plenty of gas in the tank, oil full. It sounds like a bike that isn't getting fuel or is maybe flooded. Not sure. So, any ideas on what I need to do? Did the petcock break and is now stuck in off? Did I flood it? Foul the plug? Did the rain play a role (when I kick it, the light comes on and the neutral light is on when I turn it on - oh, and yes, the ignition is on). It's in the garage right now. I'm sure it's not a big deal but I'd sure like to ride it! It's beautiful! Thanks in advance for the help,

Mike
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

check for spark from the coil and while your at it change the plug so your not chasing a half fouled plug.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Those scooters don't like to be trailered. I would say give it 24 hours and then try again. Check to see that the spark plug boot is still securely on.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

First guess, flooded.

The fuel valve accepts 'off' as a suggestion and if anything like mine, off isn't necessarily off.

Most likely flooded while bouncing down the road on a trailer.

Remove plug (it'll likely be wet) blow off excess. With key OFF operate the kick starter several times to blow excessive fuel out.

Reinstall the, now dry, plug and try to start.....NO CHOKE at 1/4 throttle.

Keep in touch.

Rob
mkassel

Post by mkassel »

Thanks for the advice. I tried it yesterday and it sounded like it wanted to go more than before but I'll try the way you have suggested. Thanks. Yeah, it's abouncy trailer and it smelled like gas really strongly when I took it off. I'd have ridden it home but no good way outside expressway to get from Ann Arbor to Flint, at least for the first fifteen miles or so. Then lots of back roads to take.
mkassel

Post by mkassel »

Replaced plug and it started right up. Hey, any idea how much a 2t weighs?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I always try to run the carb dry before trailering. If not they will flood.

My routine is to take it off the trailer and turn the tap on. Sometimes it may still flood. I just turn the tap off and keep kicking until it starts.

Works most of the time!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Around 225 pounds?.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics