Fix Buddy 50cc Engine or Buy a New Buddy 50cc

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

brappold17

Fix Buddy 50cc Engine or Buy a New Buddy 50cc

Post by brappold17 »

I bought a buddy 50cc and decided to look into fixing it up. I can't remember exactly what was wrong with the engine but the mechanics said it had to be replaced. I am wondering if finding an engine and putting it in will be worth it or just buy an older used one or new one from a dealer. What is the cheapest and safest option?
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

It's fairly simple to repair the top end if that is the cause. The problem here is you don't know what exactly is wrong with the scooter, which leaves us no where as a starting point in helping you out.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

The cost of a quality used 50cc engine probably isn't that much (several hundred dollars) but labor might make it more expensive. Rebuilding the cylinder is easy and not terribly expensive (less than the cost of a new/used scooter) but also involves labor costs. Either should give you a reliable engine if the right mechanic does the work. HOWEVER, what else is wrong with the bike? Brakes? Wiring? Body panels? That would be my determining factor on top of the engine issues.
brappold17

I got the engine info to a point

Post by brappold17 »

I may not know exactly was wrong with it. It ran 35 to 40 then ran 10mph. I had the filters and carburetor cleared but it didn't fix the problem. I thought it was the equivalent of a head gasket being blown but its been 3 years and the place never gave me written info, only verbal.

Original manufacturer was Motive Power Industry
Engine Family CGSCC. 049PGO
Permeation Fam CGSCPMETALBD
Regulations to 2012

Tried posting a picture
brappold17

Low Compression

Post by brappold17 »

Called place and they said compression was half of what it should have been but didn't look further to see what's wrong
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If you are reasonably tooled up and have some skill a top end rebuild is pretty easy. There are plenty of videos and write ups of 2T motor rebuilds and if you get stuck ask questions.

I would torque the head bolts, check the compression, check for spark and for fuel as well as the oil injection. In other words take a general "look around" and see how things are.

Cheapest and safest are not always compatible.

I would pull the top end next if compression is low slap a 70cc top end kit on it for under 150 bucks. You can do more for performance if you want or just rejet.
https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Cylind ... P8850.aspx

That is probably the cheapest way to go. Will that take care of everything? Maybe...maybe not. A kitted 70cc can be a zippy fun scooter and serves the purpose for many people.

The safest way of course is to buy new. Then you have a scooter under warranty and peace of mind. But that is probably the most expensive way to go.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Meis

Post by Meis »

Just being low compression would be either bad reedvalve, worn piston rings, or cyl gaskets. All of those are stupid cheap and relativley easy to fix on your own. It still runs so that is a good sign.

If it turns out to need total top end rebuild or replacement, you can get a factory top end kit for close to $100 i think. You can get a performance 70cc kit from the likes of malossi or polini or evendors stage 6 for less than $200. With basic hand tools and knowledge of how to use them you can put the kit on in about an hour. Upset the carb and throw a decent performance pipe on there ($150) and you should have a scoot that hits almost 60-ish mph.

It is very easy to do and is a great way to learn. I would be happy to help you along this process as I am sure some members here would too.

Check out scootertuning.ca they have some awesome parts, and despite being in Canada they offer very economical shipping to the US