Cell Phone Mount?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

coolrays

Cell Phone Mount?

Post by coolrays »

Not that I want to be distracted while I'm putting around... but..

Is there a good, reasonably priced iPhone mount out there that would fit on the 125?

I think it'd be nice to have GPS when I am avoiding super busy roads.

Or is this just a terrible idea?
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

You need all three of these pieces from RAM Mount. The 1" ball mount, the double socket arm and the X Grip. All of these parts are available from Amazon.
Attachments
rammount1.jpg
rammount1.jpg (74.85 KiB) Viewed 629 times
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

I agree with the RAM Mount recommendation with the the caveat that I think RAM sells some iPhone specific cradles that might be a bit more secure for your phone than the X-Grip. I use the X-Grip on my Piaggio MP3-500 and it works well but it is not infallible (I had a phone jump out of the X-Grip at 65 MPH about a mile after I hit a solid bump in the road. Either way, I recommend that you find a way to "dummy cord" (Marine Corps term) the phone to the bike as a backup.

Having the phone handy when riding to access music via Bluetooth or a mapping program is super useful as long as it doesn't become a distraction.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

The X-Grip now comes with a rubber piece that stretches around the corners of your phone and prevents it from coming off the X-Grip.
Attachments
xgrip.jpg
xgrip.jpg (48.38 KiB) Viewed 609 times
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

giddyup98 wrote:The X-Grip now comes with a rubber piece that stretches around the corners of your phone and prevents it from coming off the X-Grip.
That would have made a big difference in my experience. The worst part was that I was on a 450-mile ride and it dropped off the bike with around 200 miles to go so I was stuck with no GPS and no music for the rest of the ride.

I have been thinking about adding RAM mounts to some of my other scooters so this is good information.
coolrays

Post by coolrays »

Ram mounts seem to be the best option!