Breaking in question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JJScoot

Breaking in question

Post by JJScoot »

THIS IS NOT A QUESTION ABOUT HARD OR EASY BREAK IN... kind of.

I've searched all over and read all of the opinions. My question is this: when people say "just don't keep it wot for too long- I haven't read anywhere just what is too long. Is it 30 seconds at a time or 10 miles?

When I picked it up from the dealer, he wasn't very specific either. Paraphrasing what he said - its a 2 stroke so it can handle running it hard, just don't do it too long... we got on a different topic and I never asked him specifically what he meant, but to be honest I don't think he could've answered my question either.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Im currently breaking-in a Adly 2 stroke, and have broken-in a few Zuma 2 strokes in the past. Dont run WOT constantly and vary the RPM's. I try and keep it under 30mph till I hit 200 miles (still varying the RPM's) and under 40mph till I hit 400 miles (again, vary the RPM's). Varying the RPM's just puts different loads on the motor. If on a long straight, and its pretty safe, I get up to 30mph, then slowly back down to 25, then back to 30. I know some people who just punch it right out of gate and have no real ill effects. The proper way to break the motor in lets all the moving parts seat and its also a safety barrier in case something does fail. Also, helps a newer rider get comfortable at slower speeds. I usually stop at 400 miles, then its game on WOT runs and punching it all the time! I also run the cheap 87 octane gas and YamaLube in all my 2 strokes.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Not just during the break in period, but when going down hills with a two stroke, it's good idea to keep blipping the throttle rather than just coasting down hill. Two stroke motors get their lubrication from the oil/gas pre-mix, so blipping the throttle every couple of seconds keeps the top end lubricated.

A good few hundred mile break in will ensure that the rings are properly seated in the bore of the cylinder.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The only thing I would add to what others have said is to NOT use synthetic oil during break-in. Doing so will greatly extend the break-in time and may even prevent the rings from bedding in.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Even for a 2 stroke? It already has synthetic in it.

Still nobody has answered yet- how long is too long wot?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

JJScoot wrote:Even for a 2 stroke? It already has synthetic in it.

Who put the synthetic in it? 2-stroke oil is available in non-synthetic. Why wouldn't the rule for not using synthetic during break-in not apply to a 2-storke? The oil is mixed with the gas and that mixture is what lubricates the rings in the cylinder. If that oil film creates too much of a barrier (which synthetic is good at) between the rings and the cylinder walls, then the rings won't bed into the cylinder wall correctly.

As far as WOT, the answer is that there is no set answer. Too many variables such as ambient temperature, rider weight, road conditions, gas quality, etc. Just use common sense. If it's really hot outside or you're climbing a steep hill, don't stay at WOT as long a time. As long as you're not beating the crap out of the engine for the first 500 miles or so, you'll be fine. Don't worry about it too much because bajillions of 2-stroke engines have survived just fine even under the worst riders.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

babblefish wrote:
JJScoot wrote:Even for a 2 stroke? It already has synthetic in it.

Who put the synthetic in it? 2-stroke oil is available in non-synthetic. Why wouldn't the rule for not using synthetic during break-in not apply to a 2-storke? The oil is mixed with the gas and that mixture is what lubricates the rings in the cylinder. If that oil film creates too much of a barrier (which synthetic is good at) between the rings and the cylinder walls, then the rings won't bed into the cylinder wall correctly.

As far as WOT, the answer is that there is no set answer. Too many variables such as ambient temperature, rider weight, road conditions, gas quality, etc. Just use common sense. If it's really hot outside or you're climbing a steep hill, don't stay at WOT as long a time. As long as you're not beating the crap out of the engine for the first 500 miles or so, you'll be fine. Don't worry about it too much because bajillions of 2-stroke engines have survived just fine even under the worst riders.
Gotcha. Thanks.
Remous

Post by Remous »

Ride it like you stole it :twisted:
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Remous wrote:Ride it like you stole it :twisted:
600 miles into my 220i Blur and I just can't keep myself from this behavior. Bike and body became one around 400 miles and it's been Mad Max commuting ever since. I'm surely going to die, but it's going to be with one big ass frozen grin on my face.

The good thing about breaking in a 220 on city streets is that you can't possibly keep it WOT for too long.