2009 Buddy Rear Brake Question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mrRowe

2009 Buddy Rear Brake Question

Post by mrRowe »

Ok.. I have a question about my tangerine Buddy with 20K miles on it. My rear brake is of little to no use. The best I can describe it is spongy. I have replaced the cable and replaced the shoes with Prima. The shoes that came off didn't look bad in comparison. The arrows are far apart when the brake is pressed. I have the adjustment screw almost off the cable, if I go in a few turns, I can't roll the buddy around but... when I pull that lever at 35 miles an hour, I can't feel what the brake is doing. AND it doesn't feel like it springs back like the front does.

I didn't measure the hub cause.. I don't have that tool - yet anyway. Is there anything else I should look for before I start shopping hubs? Is the adjustment just that 'fine'?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Is the coil spring on the cable at the rear brake hub still there? There should be a second spring on the brake arm on the hub itself. Can you take a picture of the hub/cable assembly and post it?

When the brake shoes were changed, was the brake arm pivot on the hub disassembled, cleaned, and regreased? If not, then there could be a lot of brake dust caked up on the pivot causing it to not turn freely.

Before the new brake shoes were installed, did you or the mechanic give the brake drum and brake shoes a light sanding with some sandpaper to break up any glazing and to roughen up the surfaces so that the new shoes can bed-in properly?

Where the brake shoes and brake drum wiped down with brake cleaner to remove any old brake dust, oils. and grease before reassembly?
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
mrRowe

Post by mrRowe »

Things to look for.. Thanks!!

on the cable at the rear brake hub... if you mean the one on the brake cable, then yes, it is still there. It came with the new brake cable. If this is a second spring, I'll take a look, post a picture. I don't see that part in the fiche.

The questions about cleaning, sanding, greasing are all a no. I will get on that while looking for the spring. What grit do you recommend to rough those pads up?

Thanks for the help!
cummingsjc

Re: 2009 Buddy Rear Brake Question

Post by cummingsjc »

mrRowe wrote:Ok.. I have a question about my tangerine Buddy with 20K miles on it. My rear brake is of little to no use. The best I can describe it is spongy. I have replaced the cable and replaced the shoes with Prima. The shoes that came off didn't look bad in comparison. The arrows are far apart when the brake is pressed. I have the adjustment screw almost off the cable, if I go in a few turns, I can't roll the buddy around but... when I pull that lever at 35 miles an hour, I can't feel what the brake is doing. AND it doesn't feel like it springs back like the front does.

I didn't measure the hub cause.. I don't have that tool - yet anyway. Is there anything else I should look for before I start shopping hubs? Is the adjustment just that 'fine'?
What do you mean that you have "the adjustment screw almost off the cable"? If I am understanding you correctly, you may be loosing the brake cable tension, no tightening it. Maybe I am misinterpreting what you wrote, but have you tried moving the adjustment nut the other way?