Budddy 170i Check Engine Light Coming on....

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

giddyup98

Budddy 170i Check Engine Light Coming on....

Post by giddyup98 »

For the first time in two years my check engine light came on my Buddy 170i. I immediately stopped the bike and when I restarted it, the light stayed off for several miles and then came back on again. This happened three times today. I spoke with Bill Viney of Carlisle Scoots and he said it had to to with the temp of the head triggering the light. It is in the 90's here today. so it seems feasible that engine heat could be the problem. Any other ideas?
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

What kind of riding were you doing when the light first came on? I had this a couple of times with my 170i. It was right after a freeway stint in summer both times.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

I think we figured out the problem. Evidently, I overfilled the oil in the crank case by about 6 ounces. I must have misread the dipstick when I changed the oil before I put the bike down for the winter. After siphoning out the excess oil, I took her out for a long ride at high speeds and now she's back to normal. The bike stopped surging and no check engine indicator light came on. Woohoo!!!!!

Special thanks to Bill Viney for helping me diagnose the problem this afternoon. I wish we had a Buddy Dealer in my area like Bill and the folks in his shop. Thanks Bill!!!
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Buddy's (PGO's) are really terrific scoots'!
I'm working on my daughter's new-to-her Buddy 125 and these things are quality vehicles. Nice design. Well assembled. Good materials. Good performance and reliability.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.