Brake not working after flush Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lebowski12

Brake not working after flush Buddy 50

Post by Lebowski12 »

I just replaced the brake pads on my Buddy 50 and did not realize I could get to them without taking apart the calipers. Now I've put it all back together and flushed the fluid, but the brake is still not working. It appears the pistons are not releasing.

Is there a trick to getting the pressure back into the system?
I thought I had flushed all the air out of it...
joebug

Post by joebug »

What do you mean they aren't releasing? explain what you did when you changed the pads.

and yes there is a trick... you need to SLOWLY squeeze the lever while bleeding them... do this while the cover is removed and you will see the tiniest bubbles coming to the surface...
Lebowski12

re: Brake not working after flush Buddy 50

Post by Lebowski12 »

My dad pulled the calipers apart: unscrewed all the bolts, detached the brake line, pulled out the cotter pin and separated the calipers. When I put the new pads in, I had to push the pistons into the calipers to get them to fit, this forced fluid out of the caliper (spraying all over the place).

So, now that everything is put back together, the pads just hang loose and the pistons will not budge from the caliper when I squeeze the lever. I'd rather not have to pay for new calipers if I can avoid it.

I'll try the slow squeeze. I was doing it rather fast, and did see many air bubbles.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

You still have air in the system. Bleeding brake systems takes some skill and patience. Many use a gadget like this -

http://www.eastwood.com/mityvac-brake-b ... DQodhWEF5g
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

From where on the caliper did brake fluid come spraying out?
joebug

Post by joebug »

im sorry to say but this doesn't sound like it was done correctly, if he took the caliper apart there are seals that need to be properly placed back in place for proper operation and your own safety. the caliper should only have been removed with the 2 bolts holding it to the fork, then the old brake pads removed, by using one of the old pads he should have taken a g clamp or c clamp and squeezed the piston back to allow enough room for the new pads to be slid onto the rotor, then bolted back in place. once back in place the brake lever pumped several times to seat the pads. never should fluid have come out or the brake line removed when just replacing pads... for your safety, I would not ride that scooter unless you are certain the caliper is put back together correctly or replaced period.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Buy this used caliper, and try it again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Buddy-5 ... Lp&vxp=mtr

Mount your pads in the caliper and use a cedar or composite shim to pry them apart. Slide the pads onto the rotor, and mount capiper on the fork. Replace your brake line. Make sure everything is tight. Be sure the bleed nipple is closed. Fill your reservoir with fresh fluid up to the top. Put a small hose on the bleed nipple with the other end in a jar. Use an 8mm wrench to open the nipple. Slowly squeeze the brake lever. Hold the lever in and tighten the nipple. Do this 5 times. Do not release the lever with the nipple open. Refill the reservoir, repeat the process 2 or 3 times until you see clear fluid coming out the other end. Do not let the reservoir go empty at anytime, or you will fill the system with air and have to start all over. You do not need special tools, or a helper for that matter. It will be easier with two people, but not necessary.