2009 Buddy 125 running issues

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GregsBuddy

2009 Buddy 125 running issues

Post by GregsBuddy »

Hello,
I was unable to find the information i was looking for with the search function, so here goes.
My son in law purchased the above with 1,200 miles on the clock. It is in nice shape and was stored in a garage in San Diego for years it appears. Curiously, the battery is still good.It's obviously been sitting for a long time. I tried starting it and it putted but wouldn't take throttle and start up. I drained the fuel from the tank and put fresh supreme grade fuel.
It now starts but will only run at well above idle and dies when the throttle is released. It runs at higher RPM's but continues to misfire and run very rough.
Is this scoot' fuel injected? Is there a fuel additive that works on this issue? Does this problem usually require and carburetor or fuel injector cleaning?
Thanks for advice.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Completely drain the fuel you put in it. Put in 1 quart of premium fuel and 1.5 oz of Berryman B-12. Use starting fluid if you have to. Get the scooter to run and baby the throttle to keep it running as long as you can. Do this a number of times until you are sure the new fuel has worked it's way into the carb (not fuel injected). Ideally you would like the scooter to run for 5 solid minutes or longer. Once you are satisfied you have worked the new fuel completely into the system, shut the scooter off and walk away for 4 or 5 days. Let it sit. Do not be tempted to try and start it again. On Sunday try again, and tell us what happened.
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-05-15 at 7.49.33 PM.png
Screenshot 2017-05-15 at 7.49.33 PM.png (115.06 KiB) Viewed 407 times
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

How are you with a toolbox? Can you pull the carb and clean it? If so, be real careful of the big vacuum diaphragm on the top. Some people don't want to wait the 5 days.

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... n+125+carb
Syd

Post by Syd »

Have you replaced the oil/gear lube?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I am pretty handy with tools and will probably do the full meal deal with the carb removal and cleaning. Thank you very much!
Yes, I changed the oils and sparking plug.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Removed and disassembled carb and found the low speed jet plugged as noted in the link above. Cleaned it and it runs!
It's running a little rough but I'll run it for a while before getting concerned because I think it will run better with more run time.
Thanks!