Scooting Resurrection!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Daves Kick

Scooting Resurrection!

Post by Daves Kick »

My name is David and I'm happy to say I am a prodigal scooterist and the proud new owner of a 2017 Buddy Kick!
In the past I have owned a Vespa, a Stella, and a Buddy, and a few years back I decided to move to a Harley Davidson Iron 883 Sportster and sold my scooters to pay for the move.
After a few years I came to realize that I missed scootering AS WELL AS the jockeys who rode them. I also found the Harley rallies VERY different from the scooter rallies I attended at Lake Geneva, WI (A bit too much pretense to endure as compared to the down-to-Earth, come-as-you-are attitude of the attendees at scooter rallies).
Again, different strokes for different two wheeled-folks, I'm just happy to be in both worlds. I still love my motorcycle, but happy to be scooting again.
I just wonder if anyone has experienced this same thing?
Attachments
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg (181.59 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
Syd

Post by Syd »

Welcome to MB Dave!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

Welcomest thou home, prodigal. Nice looking Kick!

I got back into scootering for much the same reasons; I just have more fun on the scooter than my big Yamaha, and having fun is what it's all about.
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Welcome back! Where are you located? And, are you a fellow Scoot Jockey?
Daves Kick

Post by Daves Kick »

Thank you for the Welcome, Syd!

Yes, Scootergrind! For me it is easier to have fun on the fly when on a scooter, AND scooterists seem to just "gel" with each other much easier.
I sometimes don't think Harley riders care much for other Harley riders, or at least that's my experience at rallies. Everyone just seems to be obsessed with looking cool.

Luckyscroller788, I live in Muskego, WI, and I have gone to several Scoot Jockey rallies, Scootoberfest being my favorite!
I have only put 3 MILES on my Kick, and I am anxious to put the break-in mileage as soon as possible. Now if all this rain will just move out!!!
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Welcome. I almost sold my motorcycle after I got the Buddy but I thought of those all day rides @ 70+ I'd miss. Something for every mood; Metro for the neighborhood, Buddy for country roads & motorcycle for highways. Hundreds of miles of country roads in my area with 45-60 mph speed limits & the Buddy gets though the twisty parts as quickly as my motorcycle. So nimble & fun in the twisty stuff! I scoot forward on the seat & use the pillion foot rests. Seems a little more responsive sitting like that. May be a mass centralization thing. Anyway, that Kick looks great.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Daves Kick

Post by Daves Kick »

Yup, I took a motorcycle safety class and a scooter safety class, and I was always amazed at how easy the "Box drill" was with those 10 inch wheels on the Buddy as opposed to the larger (19 inch wheels on the Harley). I can't wait to get it out and about on the country roads around our house too!
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

Welcome fellow Kick owner!! Glad to see a few more of these things on the board, that way we can share info if/when issues pop up. What size box did you have to do the box drill in? I made a moderately tight turn in a parking lot yesterday and dragged the side stand pretty hard, now I'm concerned that it literally CAN'T do a figure eight that tight :shock:
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
Daves Kick

Post by Daves Kick »

Hi PhillyKick!
I Don't recall the size of the box that I rode through on both my scooter and motorcycle safety test. I don't recall anything dragging, but I do remember it being a heck of a lot easier on the Buddy 125 thanit was on the Harley sportster.
As of yet I have no tight turns to report, or at least none that were so tight that anything dragged.
I do like the Kick a lot. It's basically what I expected from genuine, and as mentioned earlier, it certainly does get me back into scooting.
My impressions are that this is a very good product, and although I've Heard some concerns regarding the price point, I don't find it outrageously expensive, and it certainly is more affordable for what you get than a Vespa of comparable engine size.
I plan on posting a video about my first impressions and hope that others might find it helpful since I could not find any information other than a few articles and some very quick pan-around videos on YouTube.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

First off, Welcome to Modern Buddy.

Second, Welcome Back to Scootering.

Third, I nominate this thread for Best Thread Title of the Year - Scootering Ressurrection!!! I love it!

Fourth, the rubber side down rule applies even to ressurrected scooters... :wink:
Daves Kick

Post by Daves Kick »

Thanks! Will do, jrsjr! Carpe Scootum!
Attachments
IMG_6334.JPG
IMG_6334.JPG (88.23 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

BIGAMIST!... BI-CYCLIST
DON'T YOU KNOW YOU CAN ONLY BE WITH ONE MISTRESS?! :shock:
CYCLE OR SCOOT...

:P
:lol:

I had both too, just not at the same time
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Dave, theres a ride heading to Burlington from Lk Geneva on Friday over at scoot jockeys meetup page if your interested. https://www.meetup.com/ScootJockeys/events/239465933/
Daves Kick

Post by Daves Kick »

That looks cool! If only I could trust the weather in the evening (which I don;t given the past week). I'm so sick of this rain, as I am sure everyone in the area is.
I see there is also one in Milwaukee on Sunday. That one is during the day so that probably holds more promise.