Buddy 125 carb problem

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gjhendr

Buddy 125 carb problem

Post by gjhendr »

My Buddy 125 would idle and run ok up to .5 throttle but then it start to miss fire and surge. Replaced the spark plug with no joy. I took of the air cleaner off and I had a good amount of raw gas behind the air cleaner. I started it, ran it without the air cleaner, and had the same miss fire problem but did notice that when I shut it off, a bit of gas would come out of the intake tube. I took off the carb and cleaned it, it was clean in the throttle plate area and only needed the outside cleaned. Think I should rebuild the card or just take it apart and clean with carb cleaner?
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Try simply cleaning the carb well and changing the fuel filter.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
gjhendr

fixed

Post by gjhendr »

After removing and taking apart the carb and cleaning (it was real clean, except the out side, as I put a bit of sea foam in on every fill), I still had the problem. I then drained the gas tank and put in new gas....joy. Strange because I had just filled the gas tank the week before at a gas station. They must be selling bad gas. I will not be using that gas station again.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

This sounds exactly like the problem I diagnosed as a carb problem...

Turned out to be the ignition coil.

www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361323
mhardgrove

Re: fixed

Post by mhardgrove »

gjhendr wrote:After removing and taking apart the carb and cleaning (it was real clean, except the out side, as I put a bit of sea foam in on every fill), I still had the problem. I then drained the gas tank and put in new gas....joy. Strange because I had just filled the gas tank the week before at a gas station. They must be selling bad gas. I will not be using that gas station again.
When you cleaned the carb did you remove and clean the carb jets? The seafoam likely cleaned the jets, but if you have further issues yank the jets and clean them by themselves. Also, if you're using E-10 gas (most US gas stations use this as standard) it can lead to gummy carb jets if you don't drive all the time. Look to see if you can find any stations in your area that sell 100% gas, they are rare but exist. Used pure gas for a year in Tennessee and my jets looked perfect when I pulled them for my spring maintenance.

A trick I learned was putting the jets in a metal strainer then dip into boiling undiluted lemon juice from a squeeze bottle for about 5 minutes, as it's natural, cheap and does not harm the brass. Jets will be dull looking, as the acid does react to the brass as it is a slight acid, but it does not alter or harm the actual metal.