Battery issues

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mike932

Battery issues

Post by mike932 »

Buddy 170i. Scooter would not start. A nice stranger jump started it and I rode 10 miles home with no problem. Charged battery for couple hours. Scooter started fine. Battery is 12.8 volts with engine off, and 13.2 volts with engine running. Is the charging system working ok?
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

I would also check the amperage. I had to replace a battery recently because the voltage was good but the amps were not. After about three starts, the battery would no longer work.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Those numbers sound good. Voltage readings only tell part of the story regarding the battery. Most local battery shops can load test a battery, which tells you somewhat more about its ability to start a vehicle.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Test the voltage while pressing the ignition. If it drops below 10 volts, the battery is bad.
bigshinybutton

Battery Kill Switch

Post by bigshinybutton »

I have also had the problems with battery draining and going dead because I left on the run switch or the key in the ON position.

Has anyone installed a kill switch that cuts power to the entire circuit and then it doesn't matter if the key or switch is on? If so, where did you wire it in and which switch did you use?
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

^Leaving the Run/Kill switch on should not kill your battery. I always leave my Kill switch in the run position because I always use my key to kill the motor. I was always taught to only use the Kill switch in an emergency.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200