cleaned carb on Buddy 50 Lemon head didn't work

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KooK

cleaned carb on Buddy 50 Lemon head didn't work

Post by KooK »

I cleaned the carb on a friends buddy 50 lemon head. it sat for two+ years, so of course the carb was filthy. took it off, and yes it was. just tons of crap everywhere. took both jets off, big jet was clear, small jet was blocked. took about an hour to get it where there was light shining though it. that is a SMALL hole. cleaned everything I could see, sprayed cleaner in every orifice i could find. the only thing i didn't do it remove the float. there was no screw, just a pin. but it moved naturally, and seemed ok. took a brush along with the cleaner to every surface i could reach.

I was feeling good. changed the spark plug for good measure. and buttoned everything back together. tried to start it, it fired for about 5 seconds then died, just like before. and wouldn't catch ever again. the carb is getting fuel,(put new fuel in it). the spark is working as from when it fired initially.

is there something that i could have missed? I am not the expert on carburetors,. but thought I did a decent enough job to get it running. it there something small perhaps I could have overlooked? I am kinda stumped.

Thanks for any insight ..

Eric B
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

Is the choke mechanism moving freely?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Removing the pin and subsequently the float is easy, and gives you access to the valve that controls fuel flow into the carb bowl. If there was a ton of gunk in the carb, then there's a reasonably good chance that this valve/plunger is stuck in the inlet port and is not allowing fuel to pass.
KooK

Post by KooK »

Charlie, you were right. I went back to try again and the bowl was dry. I took it apart again and sprayed in the float hole thinking that got it as a bit of fuel came out. Buttoned it up and nothing. Still not firing. It did start for a few but nothing. Is there something I can do now that I took the carb home to really get into it.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

KooK wrote:Charlie, you were right. I went back to try again and the bowl was dry. I took it apart again and sprayed in the float hole thinking that got it as a bit of fuel came out. Buttoned it up and nothing. Still not firing. It did start for a few but nothing. Is there something I can do now that I took the carb home to really get into it.
First off, you really need to get in there and clean that inlet. Then reassemble the float, cutoff valve, and pin, leave the bowl off, hold the carb upright and move the float up and down, checking to see that it moves freely and that the cutoff valve rides up and down with it. You may also have to work your way back through the fuel system to make sure there are no clogs, especially in the fuel filter. If you haven't already replaced the filter, it'd probably be worth it to do so anyway since there may be gunk in it that could work its way down to the carb leaving you to have to start from square one again.
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

KooK wrote:Is there something I can do now that I took the carb home to really get into it.
Yes, there is.
Buy a carb rebuild kit. Remove all the plastic bits from the carb. Soak all the metal bits in this overnight:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/gun ... Atc38P8HAQ

Best,
-Slashy
KooK

Post by KooK »

Thanks. One step ahead of ya. Bought that at autozone last night before work.
KooK

Post by KooK »

And the dip worked. Fired right up, adjusted the idle and as good as new. Man, the culprit was either the float or the idle jet. Money is on the idle jet, that thing is small!
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

KooK,

Glad to hear it!

Party on Wayne,
-Slashy