Genuine Buddy running light conversion

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

opie1965

Genuine Buddy running light conversion

Post by opie1965 »

I'm not sure why but I searched this topic and came up with nothing. When I chose the next page (163 pages available) it came up with no matches found. Dead end. Anyway, I'm seriously thinking of converting my rear turn signal bulbs into running lights because while I have the front of the scooter lit up like a freight train with the deadlight conversion and a 4.8 volt battery operated bike light there is nothing but the rear running/brake light to suggest to the car behind me that I'm actually in front of him/her on that road at night. Maybe it's the new thing to ride my rear fender when we're the only two vehicles on the road. Never understood that whole mindset. So, does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of just adding a running light/brake light combo to the bottom of the license plate but I cringe at the thought of tapping into the wiring. I've only had this scooter since June. I imagine the real answer is not to ride at night. As a last resort I'd have the local scooter shop install the front to back running light conversion kit but that's going to cost a ton in labor.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

If you convert the rear turn signals to running lights, you'll need to switch to LED bulbs or you'll be pulling too much juice for the paltry electrical system on the Buddy. With that, you'll need a universal flasher relay to compensate for the change in flow. That's not too big a deal but keep in mind you will lose the nice audible ticking of the turn signal indicator from the stock flasher relay. Again, no problem but you'll have to be careful to check you signals until it becomes habit.

VSP took over for Kyle and runs the former Voodoo Scooter Parts. Give him a shout and see if he still makes the rear running light package. It's exactly what you're looking for.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I have the Skene Design P3 conspicuity bake lights on my Burgman (fully user programmable), and a friend of mine has the Admore light bar with progressive amber turn signals. Either will make you much more noticeable from the rear.

Don't fear tapping into the rear brake wire. The Skene's come with posi-taps. Very easy to use and their installation is completely reversable.

Even with rear conspicuity lights, always keep an eye on your 6 and be ready to get out of the way!
opie1965

VSP

Post by opie1965 »

Thanks, Tocsik. I sent VSP a PM. He's a hard guy to get a hold of but I'm sure he has a day job like all of us. I may just go ahead and mount some bullet style lights where the reflectors are on my license plate bracket because they're bolted on leaving a perfect hole to mount the bullets on both sides and it wouldn't add much to the width of the scooter. This is a concern because I park in an old tool shed for the moment and the opening is only so wide. I'll tap into the wiring right there at the brake light. It kills me how little these scooters are illuminated for nighttime riding when they're imported. I'm aware of the different lighting requirements between Asia and the USA but I can't help but to think these concerns would have been addressed and parts made readily available without having to customize so much. As much as I really like my Genuine Buddy 125 it really opened my eyes as to what to look for or avoid in a new scooter. Okay, I'm done with my rant. Have a good Labor Day.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Saw these on MV: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331184692241

Look ridiculously easy to install, and inexpensive. I need to look for additional colors.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Imabassplayer

Post by Imabassplayer »

I looked at a conversion kit for the front running lights and decided not to spend the $70+. I just spliced the wires in the head light and connected it to the original front blinkers that aren't in use in the USA. I added white lights instead of the amber but didn't use LEDs. It's been working perfectly fine for the past month
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Since it looks like Voodoo is out of the picture again, I can make plug and play running light adapters for anyone who needs them.

I have made about 20 kits for people who have sent me a PM so far this summer. They sell for $25.00 including shipping via 1st Class Mail. I ship within 48 hours of receiving an order. Kit comes with full written instructions and photos.

For long term reliability, it is important to replace the stock bulbs in the deadlights with white LEDs for best visibility. The nicest bulbs I have found are the 3W 1156 from superbrightleds.com:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... b/Overview
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
Imabassplayer

Post by Imabassplayer »

Thanks for that link. I didn't know where to get LEDs that fit. I planned on switching them out... Eventually
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

I have found a few brighter 1156 bulbs, but many of them need to be ground down a little bit to fit into the Buddy's light base (which is cast plastic instead of the normal metal socket). The ones I linked to are a direct fit and have a nice forward dispersion pattern, while allowing a bit of side glow that improves visibility while riding during the day.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Jay,
I never 'pulled the trigger' on the dead-light adapter that 'Lil Buddy' was offering because the LED bulbs he was recommending were in excess of $25 a piece, that was more than doubling the cost of the mod and I couldn't justify that expense. Your suggested bulbs are at a much better cost, thanks. I'm thinking of finally doing it. ScooterWest is now offering a 'plug & play' setup complete with bulbs for about $60 but shipping is nearly $20, I think.
My question also is, I've a friend with a 220i Blur will your setup work on that as well? Theirs won't...
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
weixcrazei

Post by weixcrazei »

Hey everyone - new Buddy owner here and thinking of doing the deadlight conversion. However, kits are $70+.

I'm thinking of just buying the recommended individual LEDs and splicing the wires to the current headlights. Will this work? As far as I know, the kits include a relay that may/may not be necessary to prevent too much electrical draw and therefore a dead battery?

If anybody has had success in doing this without buying the kit, it'd be great to hear from you!!

These are the LEDs I'm eyeing: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... b/Overview

Thanks!
DeeDee

You can turn them into turn signals for free

Post by DeeDee »

I took off the DOT add on front turn signals and wired the dead lights as turn signals, the way God intended them to be. The bulbs and the wiring are all there. All you have to do is remove the front cover, unplug the add-on wiring harness for the lolipop turn signals, and plug the dead lights into the wiring harness.
weixcrazei

Post by weixcrazei »

Has anybody done the same thing to the deadlights but as headlights instead?

Particularly curious about the wiring setup and if an extra relay is required, or is it LED plug-n-play.
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

I've ordered this.

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... uddy/10650

Haven't installed it yet, but the YouTube video is tall looks simple.
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
weixcrazei

Post by weixcrazei »

That's the exact one I'm eyeing and the same setup I'm going for, but $70 for two LED bulbs and a relay seem way to expensive to me...
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Sorry I haven't kept up with this thread. I haven't been getting notifications when there are new posts.

I can honestly say that I don't know if the Buddy deadlight adapters will work on a 220i Blur. I am sure that I could design something that would work, but I don't know anyone in the NH/MA/ME area who owns a Blur that I could check out.

I have designed plenty of custom automotive relay kits and replacement wiring harnesses from photos and careful measurements for customers in the past and could certainly do the same for anyone who wants a deadlight adapter for their Blur. Just send me a PM and we can sort out the details.

Based on the video, the harness from Scooter West appears to use standard motorcycle connectors (Hitachi and Sumitomo type), so their cost is most likely based mainly on the fact that people have been willing to pay what they are asking for it (standard "charge what the market will bear" philosophy).

The only Buddy I have access to at this point is my wife's 2014 170i, which has a very different setup in the front end than the standard Buddy 125/150 wiring (due to the electronic fuel injection).

Since the Buddy 125 and 150 seem to be the most popular scoots around here these days, I would be happy to work up a new design if anyone can take some detailed photos of the ignition connectors and some careful measurements. I should have no problem fabricating a plug and play harness similar to what ScooterWest is making, but with materials that will be easier to work with than the vinyl tubing they use in their harness design. I would guess that the final cost of the harness would be about $35.00 plus actual shipping cost ($5.50 via Priority Mail or about $3.00 via 1st Class Mail in the US).

There are tons of different 1156 LED bulbs that will work in the deadlights, but none will actually allow them to function as extra headlights, since there are no optics involved in the design of the metallic reflector in the bulb base or the clear lens covering the bulb that would allow it to focus like a headlight. The main reason I prefer the 3 Watt 1156 from superbrightleds is because it does have some simple optics built into the front of the bulb that concentrate the majority of the light out the front, instead of scattering it everywhere like the multi-chip LED bulbs, which can create lots of annoying glare for oncoming traffic.

If anyone is interested in helping me develop a deadlight adapter kit for the Blur or a Plug and Play version for the Buddy 125/150, please send me a PM or email me at thatvwbusguy@comcast.net and we can sort out the details. I would be happy to offer 50% off the final price to the people who help me develop the kits.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
weixcrazei

Post by weixcrazei »

Hi Jay - thanks for responding back on the thread. I have a Buddy Blackjack 150 and would be happy to work with you to develop the kit, hopefully it'll be of much help for the folks on this forum who are interested.

Sent you a PM as well as emailed you.
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

weixcrazei wrote:Has anybody done the same thing to the deadlights but as headlights instead?

Particularly curious about the wiring setup and if an extra relay is required, or is it LED plug-n-play.
I had my deadlights turned into running lights - the guy who runs my local scooter shop did it without a plug-and-play setup, wired mine into the power for the horn so they turn on when I turn the scoot on (so I feel a little less worried about someone sneaking up on me and my scoot in the dark as I gear up to go home). I swapped out the orange bulbs for white LEDs, and it looks pretty awesome, if I do say so myself.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

I have a couple prototypes of a new design for the Deadlight to Running Light converter out being tested right now.

After working with Buddy pilots of several different models, it appears that there are a few differences in the wiring between the Buddy 125/150 and the Buddy 170i. This new design will work well on all 3 models with no need to cut or tap into any factory wiring. I initially wanted to do a truly "plug & play" setup, but this would require two different versions and I wasn't happy with the idea of adding anything to the ground path via the tiny wires on the stock wiring harness. I chose to ground the deadlights to the horn mounting bolt and will include a toothed lock washer to ensure a nice, solid ground. This will still present a "no cut, no tap" design and can be installed or removed in less than 5 minutes.

As soon as I get word back from my beta testers that everything is 100% good to go, I will post here and add a link to my website so people can order directly without having to send a bunch of PM's. All of the kits will come with instructions and all of the materials needed for installation. The total cost will be $32.00 including shipping via First Class Mail in the US.

I would really like to develop a "no cut, no tap" design for the Buddy 50 as well. I know that I could power the deadlights on my wife's 2009 Buddy 50 from the horn wire, but other people have said that this approach did not work for their model year. If anyone would like to help me sort out a new design that will work with all Buddy 50's, I will offer a few harnesses at a deep discount. The only tools needed to add to the knowledge base will be access to an electric multimeter (even a simple test light might work) and a digital camera. I can walk you through the rest via email. (Oh yeah, you will need a Buddy 50 as well, but that probably goes without saying)...

Hopefully within a month or so wire taps into factory wiring will be a thing of the past for adding running light functionality to the deadlights!!!

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I have an '09 Buddy 150 and my wife just bought a '14 buddy 125.

Given the yahoos that we encounter every day, I'd be really interested in a running light LED package that isn't cost prohibitive. I may or may not remove the DOT signals, but I mostly want an extra bit of visibility....
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

It would be cool to see one for the rh that turns the dot blinkers into running lights/blinkers.
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I picked up some cheap LED's in orange from AutoZone that fit right into the deadlight pods and wired them into the dash light circuit (08 Buddy 125). Took me about 30minutes and some scrap wire from a car amp install kit. Still going strong after 20,000 miles.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

In general I don't like the idea of using the DOT blinkers as a combination running light/turn signal. From a visibility standpoint, it is more likely for oncoming traffic to pick up on a new source of blinking light than it is to notice a solid source of light turning off.

I would be more than happy to help develop an add-on set of running lights (or turn signal repeaters) for the RoughHouse if anyone is interested in that approach.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

theemptythrone wrote:It would be cool to see one for the rh that turns the dot blinkers into running lights/blinkers.
I did a conversion like this on a Vespa 2012 300 GTS I owened. There are several threads over on the Vespa forum under the title "Bright Eyes." It worked great! I would link to it, but I forgot my username and password after I traded in the scooter on something larger.

Difference between the Vespa 300 and the Buddy is the "dead" lights. Maybe that's why the "Bright Eyes" conversion hasn't caught on with Genuine owners?
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
viney266

Post by viney266 »

There are several companies offering LED license plate bolts. I got mine out of the drag specialties catalogue for Harley stuff. I have them on all my bikes; $16 and they give a little extra light and dimension to the back of the bike.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Adding a headlight or brake light modulator is also a great way to increase visibility. The headlight modulator only works during the day and is controlled by a photosensor, so you can't forget to turn it off.

Brake light modulators flash the brake light several times in less than a second to let traffic behind you know that you are getting on the brakes. I installed one on my wife's 170i along with a low mounted auxiliary LED brake light and the results turned out even better than I thought they would be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV_6sjI7LDs

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
PatrickTM

Post by PatrickTM »

Hey Jay,

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but I just came across this, went to your site, and purchased the harness! Also went to Super Bright LEDs and got some bulbs.

Look forward to getting them up and running.

-Patrick
Argee

10W projector LED deadlights

Post by Argee »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-CREE-10W-Whi ... 66&vxp=mtr

They are actually only about 5-6 Watts, but still pretty bright.

I also just installed a small amber indicator light near the ignition key, so I wouldn't keep forgetting to turn them off. I wired power from the cigarette lighter socket, using buddy tabs. I used a simple rocker switch inside the left pocket.

Probably $25.00 altogether, so far...
Attachments
170i Deadlight Indicator 800.jpg
170i Deadlight Indicator 800.jpg (79.89 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
170i Deadlight Closeup 800.jpg
170i Deadlight Closeup 800.jpg (62.87 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
170i Deadlight Overview 800.jpg
170i Deadlight Overview 800.jpg (65.09 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Would installing this void my warranty?
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Any vehicle modification is likely to void the warranty.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
globetrotter

Use deadlights as DRL and Blinkers?

Post by globetrotter »

Is there a way to have an LED that changes between white and orange to make these lights run white, and then when the blinker is engaged, to turn orange? I'd love to remove the DOT all together, but would also like the DRL aspect, and of course, need blinkers :)
keltick

Post by keltick »

Sure, such a thing exists but you will need to modify the wiring to make it work as intended.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DuraFlux-2x-315 ... 1604823802
globetrotter

Orange and White blinker / DRL

Post by globetrotter »

Is there a kit that's been created for this to be used? I'm surprised not more people would be into using this configuration!

Any tips on what I'd need to do exactly to achieve this?

That light bulb looked like it would be a little bigger than I could use, or is that one that's been used before?
keltick

Post by keltick »

That bulb is just an example that such a thing exists. You would need to source a similar bulb that would fit in the housing and replace the sockets. Then run the cabling to serve the multiple functions. Definitely possible but a fair amount of work for not a lot of impact.