Is a Facelift Needed

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dage'sVew

Is a Facelift Needed

Post by Dage'sVew »

Miz Gilly is coming up on her 9th anniversary, 7 with me. Mileage is 5,710. Other than tires, spark plug, headlight bulb and A/O filters-fluids, everything is original. What would you all suggest replacing due to the possibility of age deterioration? I just ordered a new belt and some 11g sliders, but what things should I consider as being likely a bit too long in the tooth to trust? I would appreciate any suggestions and/or experiences. I don't want to wait for a failure on the road to tell me!
Dana
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well, anything made out of rubber is getting a bit long in the tooth. Are tires, various hoses, and CVT belt still original? Has the front brake system ever been flushed and fluid changed? I know everyone won't agree with me but I believe tires should be changed after 5 or 6 years regardless of wear or signs of sidewall cracking. The rubber gets hard and simply does not grip the pavement as well. Not to mention that the original tires on the Buddy were nothing special.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Might want to check your shocks for signs of leakage. Also the steering head/bearings for looseness and wear. Wouldn't hurt to have some spare bulbs on hand.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Has the blinker fluid been replaced since you've bought it?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

RoaringTodd wrote:Has the blinker fluid been replaced since you've bought it?
:+!:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I agree with front brake fluid flush. Yeah rollers, belt tiers...usual consumables.

I would also check the valve adjustment. While doing that might as well retorque the head bolts.

Keep us updated!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

Thanks guys for the great input! The hoses, yeah, that makes sense. I'll do some research and find the number and variety of hoses needed. My Pirelli's are only a couple years old, no worries there, and the CVT belt and a set of sliders should be arriving soon (see o.p.) When I drop off my scoot at my mechanic's I'll ask him to address the front brakes and take a good look at the shocks, steering bearings, head bolts and valve adjustment. Hopefully if any bulbs suddenly need replaced he will have some on hand. He's a great mechanic and meticulous in his attention to detail.
Yes, Todd, I will replace the blinker fluid. I'll use the same stuff, Refresh, that I use in my dog's blinkers. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for Ms Gilly!! :roll: :P Thanks again guys, you're the best!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Way back you'd ask the kid if he'd replaced his muffler bearing. Then I bought a Vespa. :roll:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:
Way back you'd ask the kid if he'd replaced his muffler bearing. Then I bought a Vespa. :roll:
Hahaha! Been there, done that, gave the T-Shirt to Goodwill.