Idle a little funny?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

buddyv125

Idle a little funny?

Post by buddyv125 »

I guess its just my ego that prevents me from actually asking for advice.
Instead i scour the web for as many tiny bits of info as i can and piece them together...
But anyway, i love my new buddy and have put 60 miles on it so far. When i start it up for the first time of the day, the idle seems a tiny bit rough but smooths out after some warm up. Is this normal and/or preventable? This is a 2009 scooter that had been sitting... its only got 450 miles now. How much longer is the break-in period?
Lastly, i have a lot of experience with goped motors. love tearing things apart to see if i can put them back together even better/faster! Should i rebuild my carb and clean it, because i feel like it would satisfy me and my scooter. Is it easy? Difficult?
Thanks to all the genuine buddies
-Val
P.S. my first post was in a rush and i feel like my name in the buddy community has been labeled as a member who's to lazy to contribute (which i sometimes am)
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

What type of fuel are you running? Has the first service been performed? Run a fresh tank of mid-grade and put in 3 ounces of Berryman's B-12. Take it on a nice long ride, the longer the better. Plenty of stop and go, and plenty of wide open. Let it sit for a couple of days. Your break in period is about up. Just be sure to vary your throttle. Get rid of the engine and gear oil if it hasn't already been changed. Would also be a good idea to check your valves. I'd replace the filter with the oil change as well.
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

Don't worry about anything right now. You have a scooter that spent s lot of time sitting around. There has to be some build up in the carburetor. First thing to do is grab a can of Sea Foam from your local car parts place and add some to the next couple of tanks and ride your scooter. If the stumble is still there after another 400 miles, then you can start to look for causes. I have bought many bikes that have sat a while and they all had idle issues until it really got used. As long as it starts and runs, there is a really good chance all it needs is some Sea Foam. You have a ways to go on the break in process. I feel like these scooters take 700 miles to break in. It will continue to get better as well.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
buddyv125

Post by buddyv125 »

DeeDee how come you dont use high octane in the buddy? will it burn off the berrymen's too fast? First service was performed buy the owner of the scoot before me who worked on bikes, but im not sure what he did... What does the first service entail?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

High octane fuel is for high compression engines. You gain nothing by running 91 in your buddy.
buddyv125

Post by buddyv125 »

i actually ran into a great thread explaining octanes and their meanings. But anyway, is the carb hard to rebuild?
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Easy peezy. Remove carb, disassemble, clean all the metal parts with carb cleaner and clear all jet and carb orifices with a strand of wire and compressed air. Reassemble and reinstall carb and you should be good to go. Unless the bowl gasket is deteriorated, it shouldn't need replacing.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

giddyup98 wrote:Easy peezy. Remove carb, disassemble, clean all the metal parts with carb cleaner and clear all jet and carb orifices with a strand of wire and compressed air. Reassemble and reinstall carb and you should be good to go. Unless the bowl gasket is deteriorated, it shouldn't need replacing.
Make sure the strand of metal is BRASS, as any harder metal can easily scratch the orifice and possibly mess with the jet orifice size. Unlikely, yes, but possible.

I would yank the jets and boil then in squeeze bottle lemon juice seasonal with my tune ups. Never had to touch the jet orifices after learning that trick.