The Buddy Kick, oil filter-free

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Daves Kick

The Buddy Kick, oil filter-free

Post by Daves Kick »

Apparently the Buddy Kick uses no oil filter (well, not the filter I was used to with my Vespa and Bugddy 125).
I was giving my Buddy a general inspection in anticipation of future routine maintenance and could not find an oil filter. I found the drain bolt, the plug at that houses the oil screen.
I thought I must not be looking in the right location so I called the service department at my dealer and they explained the Buddy Kick does not have an oil filter.
Believing a second opinion is always a good thing, I contacted Scooterworks in Chicago and their service department confirmed, no oil filter! Just the oil screen.
They said the Kick runs so clean there is no need for one.
Anyway, I just thought I would share with other Buddy Kick owners in case they came across the same situation.
Happy scootering!
mike932

Post by mike932 »

Just change your oil twice as often as they recommend. That's what I did
Daves Kick

Post by Daves Kick »

mike932 wrote:Just change your oil twice as often as they recommend. That's what I did

That's a good plan, mike932! I assume you've done this to your Buddy 170i, so I'm wondering how many miles do you have on it thus far?
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

That's not the advice I want to hear about the scoot I bought :roll: At this point I'd almost trade regular oil change intervals and a backup kick start over reliable fuel injection versus (possibly) finicky carb
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
mike932

Post by mike932 »

Nah I am talking about my first scooter. An old 125cc Yamaha Riva with no oil filter. My Buddy 170i does have a filter. Learn to do oil changes. It is a piece of cake. I put 12,000 miles on my Riva. So far I have 4,600 miles on my Buddy which I bought used last year with 360 miles on it.
Daves Kick

Post by Daves Kick »

The technician didn't say I needed to do more than the scheduled oil changes, just that there was no oil filter other than the screen. I've done oil changes before, so this is one less thing.
Now I know why I couldn't find it anywhere.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

might wanna research & see if the Prima magnetic drain plug kit that fits the Buddy 125, 150, 170 is applicable...getting all the ferrous bits out of the flowing oil will reduce wear and the magnets hold those bits;
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

My Honda Metropolitan 50cc also just has a screen. Did 2 oil changes & found nothing in the screen & the oil looked clean. Might take a few thousand miles in hot weather to start seeing sludge. Using Amsoil in both my scoots.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

mike932

Post by mike932 »

It's not the sludge you need to worry about. It is tiny metal shavings from the engine that you cannot see. If there is no filter, you are better off using cheap oil and changing often than using expensive oil and not changing often.
Snap

Post by Snap »

Most vintage British bikes didn't use filters; just a mesh screen.
Oil changes were scheduled at 1500 mile intervals.

Sludge trap in the crank could be expected to have significant crud at 15000 miles.

Tinge of silver in the drained oil from bearing was often seen.

On another note, my lawn mower has no oil filter and it smokes after two years of minimal use but poor oil services.

With no filter, change your oil alot.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The machined tolerances in older engines (and more crudely built Chinascoots) were not nearly as good as in newer engines. That is why break in periods are shorter, break in oils are not so important and one of the reasons long periods between oil changes are possible in modern engines (as well as the stability of synthetic oils).

Equally to the point. Many Yamaha scooter engines - Riva, Vino, Zuma - do not use a canister filter. They use a centrifugal filtration system mounted on the crankshaft and a fine screen. I owned a Vino for many years. The oil came out of it looking clean when changed and I never saw any reason for going to a shorter oil change period than recommended by Yamaha. I'd say the same is likely to apply to the Kick.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

Dooglas wrote:The machined tolerances in older engines (and more crudely built Chinascoots) were not nearly as good as in newer engines. That is why break in periods are shorter, break in oils are not so important and one of the reasons long periods between oil changes are possible in modern engines (as well as the stability of synthetic oils).

Equally to the point. Many Yamaha scooter engines - Riva, Vino, Zuma - do not use a canister filter. They use a centrifugal filtration system mounted on the crankshaft and a fine screen. I owned a Vino for many years. The oil came out of it looking clean when changed and I never saw any reason for going to a shorter oil change period than recommended by Yamaha. I'd say the same is likely to apply to the Kick.
Thanks for this, makes me feel a lot better about it.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
Daves Kick

Post by Daves Kick »

Well this has certainly been great news!
I guess I was locked into the whole oil filter canister paradigm. Good to know that I won't have to worry about a screen sufficing.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Most small displacement motorcycles do no have spin-on oil filters. I've never had any oil related problems with them as long as I change the oil every 1500 miles or so.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Choppergirl

Post by Choppergirl »

Thanks to all for the info, was just poking around my engine wondering where the heck the filter was hiding! :lol:
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Just keep an eye on the oil color on the dipstick. When it starts to go black and cloudy, it's time to swap it out.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

kmrcstintn wrote:might wanna research & see if the Prima magnetic drain plug kit that fits the Buddy 125, 150, 170 is applicable...getting all the ferrous bits out of the flowing oil will reduce wear and the magnets hold those bits;
looks like some people have issues with these fitting correctly...

https://www.amazon.com/Prima-Magnetic-D ... merReviews