Is Buddy 170i different from the Buddy 150? What about Blur?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pattomike

Is Buddy 170i different from the Buddy 150? What about Blur?

Post by pattomike »

I once had a Buddy 150. It was the most fun motorcycle I have owned. I sold it. But now I want to get another one. I notice now that Buddy has the 170i. Is this bike the same size physically as the Buddy 150? I liked the way the 150 fit me. I am 6 foot 1 and 190 pounds. Also, is there a noticeable difference in power with the 170 compared to the 150? Lastly, I just heard about the 220 Blur. Is this bike way faster than the 170i? Is it the same size physically as the Buddy 150? I want something that is the same size as the Buddy 150, but I want a stronger engine than the 150. Thank you for your help.
ps.. I live in Boise, and my Genuine dealer doesn't carry the 170 or the Blur in stock. I will have to order it. They carry SYM and Genuine.
skipper20

Re: Is Buddy 170i different from the Buddy 150? What about B

Post by skipper20 »

pattomike wrote:I once had a Buddy 150. It was the most fun motorcycle I have owned. I sold it. But now I want to get another one. I notice now that Buddy has the 170i. Is this bike the same size physically as the Buddy 150? I liked the way the 150 fit me. I am 6 foot 1 and 190 pounds. Also, is there a noticeable difference in power with the 170 compared to the 150? Lastly, I just heard about the 220 Blur. Is this bike way faster than the 170i? Is it the same size physically as the Buddy 150? I want something that is the same size as the Buddy 150, but I want a stronger engine than the 150. Thank you for your help.
ps.. I live in Boise, and my Genuine dealer doesn't carry the 170 or the Blur in stock. I will have to order it. They carry SYM and Genuine.
The Buddy 170i body size is the same size as the 150/125 Buddies. Its 169cc EFI engine and drive train add a few extra lbs. and it's a bit faster but not by much. To me, the biggest advantage is the electronic fuel injection. But, it doesn't have a kick start so that could be a problem especially if your battery dies in the wrong place at the wrong time. The 220i Blur is quite different. It's more sporty than most scooters and bigger than the 125/150/170i Buddies. Its true top speed is in the high 60s but it has a smallish fuel tank so it's not that good of a touring scooter. Some have also said that its seat can be a PITA (literally!). But, if you like sleek and sporty it could be your bike. Bottom line: if you were comfortable with the 150 you'll be fine with a 170i. But don't expect it to be much faster than a 150. It isn't. Its chief advantage is fuel injection rather than a carburetor. Today's cars and trucks all have EFI and have had for years. Why not today's scooters?

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
HanShan

Post by HanShan »

I own an 2013 Blur and although I only sat on a Hooligan 170i I would say get the 170i if you have the money. It gets way better milage (I am getting about 70mpg on my Blur) and when I sat on the Hooligan I loved how it felt even more than sitting of the Buddy 170. I have owned Buddy 50's and 125's.

Plus the Blur is no longer made by Genuine.

I like my Blur, it's fast and fun and it is comfortable for me (5'9" 150), and I bought it for $2000, but for the $1800 or so more you will get so much more out of a new Hooligan.
keltick

Post by keltick »

Except by all the reports I've heard the Hooligan is pokier than the Buddy due to increased weight or some such.
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

keltick wrote:Except by all the reports I've heard the Hooligan is pokier than the Buddy due to increased weight or some such.
That may be true, but it is a very minor difference if its true. My wife has a buddy 170 and I have a Hooligan. She is quicker than I am on mine, BUT, I am 100+ pounds more cargo than she is on her buddy. I can get the Hooli to 60 mph gps verified with my fat ass on it and no wind, but that's about it.
pattomike

Re: Is Buddy 170i different from the Buddy 150? What about B

Post by pattomike »

Thank you for your reply Bill. I was hoping the 170 would smoke the 150. I was a speed demon on the 150. I recently saw a Buddy 150 with low miles 2008 year in town for $1250. I passed on it because I wanted the 170. Now I am thinking I should have jumped on it.

The Buddy 170i body size is the same size as the 150/125 Buddies. Its 169cc EFI engine and drive train add a few extra lbs. and it's a bit faster but not by much. To me, the biggest advantage is the electronic fuel injection. But, it doesn't have a kick start so that could be a problem especially if your battery dies in the wrong place at the wrong time. The 220i Blur is quite different. It's more sporty than most scooters and bigger than the 125/150/170i Buddies. Its true top speed is in the high 60s but it has a smallish fuel tank so it's not that good of a touring scooter. Some have also said that its seat can be a PITA (literally!). But, if you like sleek and sporty it could be your bike. Bottom line: if you were comfortable with the 150 you'll be fine with a 170i. But don't expect it to be much faster than a 150. It isn't. Its chief advantage is fuel injection rather than a carburetor. Today's cars and trucks all have EFI and have had for years. Why not today's scooters?

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green[/quote]
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The big difference between the 150 and the 170 is the fuel injection (EFI) as you have probably already gathered. In my experience with various scooters, EFI is an advantage as it is self-adjusting and more tolerant of the scooter being in storage for periods of time such as mid-winter. If you ride a scooter at least weekly year-around then the simpler carbed system will probably serve you fine.

Regarding the Genuine dealer in Boise - if he does not stock the Buddy, what Genuine scooters does he stock?
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The 170i's injection and oil cooler are worth the extra $'s in performance (power/fuel consumption/smoooth) and longevity.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Dooglas wrote:Regarding the Genuine dealer in Boise - if he does not stock the Buddy, what Genuine scooters does he stock?
The Boise dealer website lists all the current Buddy models, including the 170, as well as the Roughhouse, Hooligan, and Kick. Whether they carry them in stock or not, I would think that they should be able to order all current bikes from Genuine.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I've owned two 125's and one 170i. Unless you can get a 170i for the same price as the the 125, I would go for the 125. I thought the 125 was smoother. As many riders on this forum have shown 30,000 miles plus on a Buddy 125 is no problem with regular maintenance. The kick start, and simplicity of a carberutor are a huge plus on a 125. The 170i had a bit more top end, but not enough to make it worth the extra moneuy. If you have problems with the fuel injection in the 170i, it is probably a dealer only, expensive repair. Just about any lawnmower mechanic can work on the 125 fuel system.
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

I will agree with the above post. My wife has a carbureted 125 and I have the 170i. Her bike is smoother than mine and GPS verified, it's faster. She has a few more miles on hers than mine and I'm not sure mine was broken in well, but she also gets better fuel mileage as well. I've never gotten over 70 and she is usually 90. I haven't ridden hers enough to see if it is driving style/weight related or purely difference in bikes. I do dread the day the FI needs servicing. I can rebuild a carburetor.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

My Buddy 125 is also smoother than my wife's 170i. There's not much difference in top speed and my 125 also gets better gas mileage than her 170i. The 125 also has a kickstarter if the battery fails, while the 170i does not.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wertles wrote:I do dread the day the FI needs servicing. I can rebuild a carburetor.
And you are likely to need to rebuild the carb more than once while you own the bike. I've owned five EFI scooters over the past dozen years. None of them ever required any maintenance of any kind on the FI system. The system is more complex, but far more reliable. The solid state module could fail, the fuel pump could fail, or the throttle body could require cleaning/replacement. None of those jobs is more difficult than disassembly and reassembly of a carb, if that ever occurs. And it seldom does. Don't get me wrong, I like our Buddy 125. It is a good scooter and has earned it's spot in our stable. On the other hand, I would never pass on a bike because it was FI.
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

Dooglas wrote:
Wertles wrote:I do dread the day the FI needs servicing. I can rebuild a carburetor.
And you are likely to need to rebuild the carb more than once while you own the bike. I've owned five EFI scooters over the past dozen years. None of them ever required any maintenance of any kind on the FI system. The system is more complex, but far more reliable. The solid state module could fail, the fuel pump could fail, or the throttle body could require cleaning/replacement. None of those jobs is more difficult than disassembly and reassembly of a carb, if that ever occurs. And it seldom does. Don't get me wrong, I like our Buddy 125. It is a good scooter and has earned it's spot in our stable. On the other hand, I would never pass on a bike because it was FI.
That's good to know. I haven't heard of one failure yet and obviously since I bought one with FI, I wouldn't turn one down. I was actually going the other way with the post, I wouldn't turn down a buddy just because it has a carburetor.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy