Back tire spinning

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JJScoot

Back tire spinning

Post by JJScoot »

Quick question: when in the center stand and off, how free should the back tire spin. I ask because when I do spin it, it seems like it is catching/dragging on something and I want to know if it's normal. Thanks.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

How any miles on your scooter, what is it? You might want to put your scooter model in your byline, so people know what you're talking about. Rear wheel spinning at idle is often a symptom of shot clutch contra spring. The rear wheel will engage at low rpms. I've only seen it happen on high mileage scooters. It will give you a rough idle at the stop sign which lessens when you apply the rear brake.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

If you're trying to spin it like a roulette wheel (i.e. giving a push and letting go), it won't freewheel like the front tire. That's because it's connected to a gear train. It's somewhat like flicking the hour hand on a clock - the resistance of the gear train prevents any appreciable further motion.

Now, if you're manually pushing the wheel through an entire revolution and and feeling a binding or catching only at certain points, then something's amiss. Dragging clutch shoe, dragging brake, bad bearing, etc. If the resistance is constant throughout the entire revolution, then that's just the normal resistance of the gear train.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

charlie55 wrote:If you're trying to spin it like a roulette wheel (i.e. giving a push and letting go), it won't freewheel like the front tire. That's because it's connected to a gear train. It's somewhat like flicking the hour hand on a clock - the resistance of the gear train prevents any appreciable further motion.

Now, if you're manually pushing the wheel through an entire revolution and and feeling a binding or catching only at certain points, then something's amiss. Dragging clutch shoe, dragging brake, bad bearing, etc. If the resistance is constant throughout the entire revolution, then that's just the normal resistance of the gear train.
Thanks. When I push it like you said, it definitely gets harder to spin at one particular point. I'll ask the shop to take a look at it when I take it in next week for its first service.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

It's just the rear brake shoes dragging, perfectly normal.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

babblefish wrote:It's just the rear brake shoes dragging, perfectly normal.
Really? Man that seems like something you wouldn't want to be normal. All buddies do this?
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

A little brake drag is normal, but it shouldn't be binding up.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

giddyup98 wrote:A little brake drag is normal, but it shouldn't be binding up.
yeah , I wouldnt say it binds up, but defintiely "rubs" and I have to give it some more oomph to get it past that spot.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

I wouldn't sweat it.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200