Weird loss of power

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kymcothunder

Weird loss of power

Post by Kymcothunder »

Hi everyone,
The other day a strap I had attached to the luggage rack on my Agility 50 came loose and (somehow) got stuck inside the rear wheel. I only realized after how much I had strained the engine to snap that thing. Anyways, there has been a considerable power loss and I can't find the cause anywhere :/ any ideas?
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Did you check your transmission? Pop off the CVT cover and take a look at the clutch, belt, and weights.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Sure a piece isn't still stuck?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Kymcothunder

Post by Kymcothunder »

Yep, got the CVT cover off and took a look at the belt and rollers. Also removed the clutch, although I didn't take it apart. I didn't see anything "off". This was maybe two weeks ago and the only way I can describe it is as a loss of power, no weird sounds or wheel play. After exams I'll pull out the carburetor and give it a good clean up, and install a bigger jet see if that helps.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Kymcothunder wrote:Yep, got the CVT cover off and took a look at the belt and rollers. Also removed the clutch, although I didn't take it apart. I didn't see anything "off". This was maybe two weeks ago and the only way I can describe it is as a loss of power, no weird sounds or wheel play. After exams I'll pull out the carburetor and give it a good clean up, and install a bigger jet see if that helps.
I bet you glazed your clutch pads. The clutch surface no doubt got very hot while it was slipping to allow your motor to continue running hard while it was straining to snap that strap caught in the wheel. When that happened, the clutch pad surface develops a "glaze" that is slippery, which prevents the clutch from working properly. Essentially, it is now slipping like crazy all the time. That's why it seems like you have no power. You'll need to disassemble the clutch, take the pads out, and lightly sand the business surfaces. Or just replace them if they're worn. That should get you on your way, no motor work involved.
Meis

Post by Meis »

do NOT upjet your carb for this. As stated above, this is definitely a clutch issue. Get yourself a replacement unit or go all out and put performance CVT swag in there!