Advice for an aging Buddy 150

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DrScoot

Advice for an aging Buddy 150

Post by DrScoot »

I have a 2008 Buddy 150, and I have just hit the 10,000 mile mark on the ol' odometer. My question is for those with "high mileage" scooters are there any big concerns I should focus on in the maintenance area of my scoot? I am mainly concerned about something on the scooter giving up while I ride it that might cause some calamitous event. I am pretty keen on keeping up with the oil changes and other related maintenance but I am not familiar with the longevity of these motors. Cheers!
mike932

Post by mike932 »

Change the CVT belt if you have not done so already. And replace tires that have worn tread
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

The fluid changes are a big part of keeping a scoot healthy if changed regularly. Belt, rollers, air filter changed every once and awhile and your good..
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You're barely at the 1/4 life. Routine regular maintenance is the key. And keep riding it.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Certainly keep all scheduled maintenance current. Scooters like to be ridden, and regular use is far better for the longevity of a scooter engine than long periods of storage.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Mine is an '09 and I'm at 18k miles. You probably do need a big maintenance of fluids, rollers, etc. Might as well do the brakes too.

After that, enjoy it for another 10k
DrScoot

Post by DrScoot »

Awesome, thanks everyone. I have not check the belt so I'll definitely do that. Is there anything in the scooter that could cause the scoot to lock up if broken or not maintained?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Your belt is probably the weak link. If it shreds, it will leave you stranded. As for major damage, I'd say your exhaust valve has the potential to become very tight eventually burning itself up. Check the valves every 4,000 miles.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

If your reservoir runs dry, you'll be without front brakes.

You'll be needing to add brake fluid in the future. It's not hard, remove the top headset, two screws hold the reservoir lid, fill, mop up any spills, done.
DrScoot

Post by DrScoot »

Thanks again everyone. I had read somewhere if I lose too much oil or some thing the scoot will lock up sending me flying. I don't know if that's true or not but I was worried there would be some other type of scenario that would produce the same results.
koyla87

Post by koyla87 »

Wow, my blackjack is at about 26,600 miles and Ive had it sine 2009. All i just do are tires, oil changes and spark plugs....The Seat is the next minor upgrade.
Maybe I'll look into some other major maintenance, but other than that, its been running great the entire time.