Newb with Break-in service/warranty question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

a2dmusic

Newb with Break-in service/warranty question

Post by a2dmusic »

Hey all! Just got my ride last Thursday and really started riding it on Friday. So all of four days now. This is my first two-wheeled motorized anything, and I'm loving it so far! Perhaps too much, as I'm already very close to the 200 miles marker for the break-in servicing. When I purchased my lil' buddy, the dealer told me that Genuine sometimes gets a little sniffy and resistant to warranty claims if we don't adhere pretty closely to the schedule. i.e. if I did my first servicing at 350 miles... and then 6 months later I had an otherwise "warranty covered" repair, Genuine might fight it.

How true have people found this to be, and within what tolerances?

And now the reason I ask: been LOVING my ride. And the dealer was closed Sun/Mon so today was the first day I could call to schedule my servicing. The soonest they could get me in... is in 10 days. Oy! And yes, this is a wonderful 'first world problem' to have, but... do I really need to just basically garage my ride for the next week and a half? Or is it really not going to be a big deal?

Cheers all!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Some Genuine dealers recommend that you put off the first service for a few more miles anyway - something more like 400-500. I don't recall that anyone has ever posted on this site about a difficulty with a warranty claim due to the actual mileage of the first service.
a2dmusic

Post by a2dmusic »

Thanks for the input, Dooglas... I'm definitely prone to be optimistic and keep riding... :P Though maybe I shouldn't keep racking up ~40 miles a day or I'll be hundreds over the line by a week from Thursday... :cry:
pcsguy88

Post by pcsguy88 »

Just keep in mind that there is not "real" oil in your bike right now, more of a shipping oil like a new firearm. This is why they say 300 miles and yes, that comes up REALLY quick for anyone who actually rides. I'm at 2 months and just had the 1,300 mile service done. You certainly do not buy a scooter to save money. ;)
a2dmusic

Post by a2dmusic »

ooh, that's a valuable point pcsguy... I will do my best to keep my riding practical for the next... eight... loooooong beautiful gorgeous Seattle weather dayyyyys... :cry: