Brand of brake fluid

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ucandoit

Brand of brake fluid

Post by ucandoit »

My first time replacing brake fluid. My Buddy 125 has 7000 miles. Is there a brand of fluid that you like? The manual says FMVSS DOT3 or SAE J1703.

Also, does anyone know the diameter size of the clear tubing that attaches to the little bleed nipple on the caliper?

When finished, do I fill the reservoir nearly to the top of the spy glass? Right now, the fluid level is halfway. thank you.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Good for you doing something most people never mess with! Now, DOT 3 is fine but note that regular brake fluid is SUPER corrosive. I use the synthetic type, its not nearly as corrosive and is compatible with regular brake fluid. Protect the plastics regardless. I use a Mityvac brake bleeder kit but they are rather costly for a item you will rarely use. Not sure on the hose size though. I fill mine a tad above halfway. If you go to high you will make a mess when you put the cap back on. I also like seeing a small bubble in the sight glass when done also. Hope that helps!
Last edited by sc00ter on Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Thanks scOOter, for the info. and encouragement. I will check into the synthetic fluid. I, too, like to be able to see the fluid level through the spy glass.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

5mm i.d. clear hose for the bleeder nipple. I like clear, so you can see what is going on. Here is a Dot 3 synthetic brake fluid. It only takes a thimble or so, and the stuff doesn't keep. Get your friends together and have a bleed party:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/wea ... /7060378-P
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I got the 5mm i.d. clear tubing. Looks as though the local motorcycle shop sells Honda Pro DOT 4 brake fluid. I'm thinking that will be okay. Pretty sure it is not synthetic.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

DeeDee, a bleed party! That is a great way to use it all for sure. Yes, brake fluid does not keep. Also, if the scooter calls for DOT 3, use DOT 3. Unless you already have it apart, find the correct brake fluid in synthetic before starting. The number refers to boiling temp or something. My Suzuki calls for DOT 4 but its much heavier than a Buddy. Remember, regular brake fluid is very corrosive, so protect the plastics!