Boggin down

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

vicalva21462@gmail.com

Boggin down

Post by vicalva21462@gmail.com »

My buddy 50 2t bogs down when i open wot....any ideas?....thanks
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Had the bike been sitting without being run for a while, say a month or more, before this happened?
vicalva21462@gmail.com

No not really. Bought her last month and installe mallossi 70cc kit. Ever since then, she bogs down on full throttle.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

vicalva21462@gmail.com wrote:No not really. Bought her last month and installed mallossi 70cc kit. Ever since then, she bogs down on full throttle.
An important point you forgot to mention in your original post. Did you rejet the carb after installing the big bore kit?
vicalva21462@gmail.com

No i didnt. Its got a #75 main jet and a #40 pilot. I should increase mainjet to a larger size, correct?.....any suggestions?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

vicalva21462@gmail.com wrote:No not really. Bought her last month and installed mallossi 70cc kit. Ever since then, she bogs down on full throttle.
That's weird because that's a possible sign of having too large a main jet (which makes no sense at all). Do you mean that it bogs down when you open the throttle fully to accelerate away from idle or do you mean that it bogs down when you try to go top speed on a level road? This is making me nervous. I'd like for a real mechanic to look at this and make sure we don't give you bad advice that causes you more trouble or even to burn up your Malossi kit. Is there a shop anywhere near you? Read the middle section of this old thread and you will get a sense of what others have been through trying to sort out their carb after they installed a kit.
vicalva21462@gmail.com

:( ....i know right!?....at a quarter to half throttle she revs pretty good. When i go wot she falls flat on her face. She'll sit there and idle all day....i know i got the fuel mixture on the money. Whats bugging me is why is she boggin like that....one thing i notice is after revving her up for awhile, the exhaust pipe starts pinging and popping......????
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

vicalva21462@gmail.com wrote::( ....i know right!?....at a quarter to half throttle she revs pretty good. When i go wot she falls flat on her face. She'll sit there and idle all day....i know i got the fuel mixture on the money. Whats bugging me is why is she boggin like that....one thing i notice is after revving her up for awhile, the exhaust pipe starts pinging and popping......????
I'm not sure how it happened, but that's another sign of the same thing. I don't want to suggest that you lean it out, though, because that is the classic way to burn up a Malossi kit. Is there a scooter shop anywhere near you?
vicalva21462@gmail.com

Yeah, there are some scooter shops but i don't trust them. I've heard some horror stories about these shops. So i try to fix my own stuff. I appreciate the feed-back tho.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Rats! Again, if you read carefully through the thread I linked above, you can see an example of how difficult it is to get that right. It seems like there should be a base setup, one simple setup that gets the carb setup close, but no two setups that "work" are ever the same. I suspect that is due to variations in exactly how the carb screws are adjusted (particularly whether the air screw has been messed with), altitude, humidity, and so on.

If you read in that thread, you will see that the most determined person eventually ended up resorting to the "plug chop" method. At this point, considering how far you are from the optimum setup, I think the plug chop might be the quickest, least expensive/painful way to get a read on what's going on. Have you ever heard of this, done one, seen one, seen a plug chop color chart, or anything like that before? Basically, all you do is stick your plug wrench in your pocket, then run down the road as hard as it will go, then reach over and hit the kill switch while you're running hard. That's why it's called a "chop." Coast to a stop, pull the plug, take the best photograph of it that you can possibly take because we need a nice close in-focus view to see the exact color and state of the electrode on the business end of the plug. Then post that up here on MB and we'll see if we can help you.

Good Luck!!!
vicalva21462@gmail.com

Yes i have and I'm doing one now, as a matter of fact!..... Bought a new plug, installed it and revved the snot out of her..... Shut her down and immediately removed the plug..... Guess what..... Plug was dripping wet with gas. I'm gonna replace the main jet one size smaller than stock, which is #75. Hope that'll stop the bog.(btw, i did check to make sure the auto choke is working and sealing off the fuel passage. Gonna try a #72 jet and see what happens.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

While you're in the carb, check your float level to make sure it isn't completely out of whack. Floats sometimes slip right off the tiny little dowel that holds them in place, stuff like that. Make very sure that isn't the problem before you start messing with the jetting. Also make sure that the little needle that pushes up into the main jet hasn't fallen out. Go over it carefully. That's now my number one culprit in this situation.
vicalva21462@gmail.com

Will do. And thanks for the feedback. I'll keep you posted.