buddy 50 spark plug location

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scooterdora

buddy 50 spark plug location

Post by scooterdora »

Where is the spark plug located on the buddy 50? Does anyone have a picture? I took of the seat pan off, but cannot find it.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

In the front of the engine underneath the oil reservoir. It is easiest to come up from underneath the bike but you probably need to remove the panel in front/underneath the seat to see what you are doing.
scooterdora

Post by scooterdora »

Thanks, I am going to try that.
I really appreciate all input from this forum for questions. I am trying to take over the maintenance of my own scooters to save the hassle of having to rent a trailer every time I need any work on my scooters to transport to the nearest shop. The shop down the street that sold it to me, promptly went out of business after they sold me my bikes :(
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

You can download the service manual, parts manual, and wiring diagram for your scooter here.

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic17349.html
scooterdora

Post by scooterdora »

Thanks cummingsjc for giving me a great description of the location. I found it easily. I will try to post a picture for reference for others.
scooterdora

pictures and instructions for spark plug change buddy 50

Post by scooterdora »

Attached are some key pictures and instructions for the spark plug change.
1. Take off the plate with the small vent that is directly under the front of the seat
2. locate the plug right under the oil tank
3. pull the boot off the plug
4. using the spark plug wrench, remove the plug. My wrench came with my scooter and is in a blue bag strapped to the under side of the seat when I open the seat compartment.
5. on the new plug, unscrew the end nip and take it off- otherwise the boot will not fit back over it. BP7HS is the plug number and can be bought online or in some auto parts stores (it will also fit other small engines, like lawnmowers)
6. hand screw the new plug in, then turn with the wrench another 1/2 to 2/3 of a turn
7. push the boot back on
8. test the engine and adjust the idle if necessary
9. install the plate
Attachments
Buddy 50 Spark Plug Change.pdf
pictures and instructions for Buddy 50 spark plug change
(596.64 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

Did you just assume that the plug came gapped to the correct clearance or did you verify before installing? Asking because my mechanic checked the manual for the recommendation (0.6 - 0.7) before installing mine. Don't know if he had to adjust or not, wasn't watching that part.
scooterdora

Post by scooterdora »

The gap should be checked and adjusted, as necessary, strictly speaking.
I do not know how to do this, so I did not, and was going to see if it worked and ran well without it or if I would have to figure out how to do that. The motor is running well without issue.
I would like to know how to measure and adjust the gap, so any posts about this would be appreciated.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Go to your local auto parts store (Autozone, NAPA, whatever) and ask a guy behind the counter. He'll help.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

scooterdora wrote:The gap should be checked and adjusted, as necessary, strictly speaking. I do not know how to do this, so I did not, .........
Even generally speaking, you should have checked the gap. Easy to do with an inexpensive tool. And, yes, I imagine the guy at the auto parts store will show you how to do it.
Attachments
plug gap.jpg
plug gap.jpg (8.93 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
scooterdora

Post by scooterdora »

ok, I got a tool and measured the gap. It was .67 mm, which is fine.
I have an NGK brand BP7HS, which I ordered online.
I will continue to get these, since the gap does not need adjustment.
Syd

Post by Syd »

scooterdora wrote:ok, I got a tool and measured the gap. It was .67 mm, which is fine.
I have an NGK brand BP7HS, which I ordered online.
I will continue to get these, since the gap does not need adjustment.
Your plug didn't need to be gapped. That doesn't mean the next won't, check any plug before you install it. Your Buddy will thank you.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

I change my spark plug every year just to be safe. And I keep a spare under the seat. You only have one so why risk it?