09 Buddy 150 parked for 2 years. Questions?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mike_cor

09 Buddy 150 parked for 2 years. Questions?

Post by mike_cor »

Hey everyone. I tried using the search function but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I've got a 2009 Buddy 150 Italia and used it a lot the first few years. Since about 2015 though, life has gotten in the way and I've had it parked in my garage for nearly the last 2 years. I didn't "winterize" it, no battery tender, all the fluids and gas still there too.

I replaced the gas and battery but the engine just won't turn over, can't say I'm too surprised.

My question is this: what are the likely issues facing a scooter that was parked that long? It's never been dropped, hit or mistreated. Should the carb be taken apart and cleaned? It only has about 6k miles on it.

Thanks for any help.
rayktleeves

Post by rayktleeves »

The carb almost definitely has to be removed and thoroughly cleaned. I just picked up a 2009 125 Buddy that had been sitting for a little less than a year and the carb was so gummed up that it almost needed to be sonicated to be cleaned. It took about an hour to clean it once we got it removed. The spark plug may possibly be fouled but the biggest issue is probably a gummed up carb causing the scoot to get no gas.

I would also recommend changing the engine oil/filter, gear oil, and checking the belt just for good measure.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Pull the carb. Save yourself a lot of hassle. Be sure the tank is clean. Should probably change the fuel filter as well. Do you have a metal gas tank, or plastic? At 6,000 you're coming do for a belt and rollers anyway. Flush the brake fluid and check the front brakes as well. Here is an excellent tutorial on the carb, be careful of the diaphragm. At 2 years, the slide will surely be glued in place:

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... n+125+carb
mike_cor

Post by mike_cor »

DeeDee wrote:Pull the carb. Save yourself a lot of hassle. Be sure the tank is clean. Should probably change the fuel filter as well. Do you have a metal gas tank, or plastic? At 6,000 you're coming do for a belt and rollers anyway. Flush the brake fluid and check the front brakes as well. Here is an excellent tutorial on the carb, be careful of the diaphragm. At 2 years, the slide will surely be glued in place:

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... n+125+carb
Thanks!
Dooglas

Re: 09 Buddy 150 parked for 2 years. Questions?

Post by Dooglas »

mike_cor wrote:I replaced the gas and battery but the engine just won't turn over, can't say I'm too surprised.
What do you mean when you say - "won't turn over"? Do you mean that the starter is not turning the engine over, or the engine is not starting when turned over? While fuel system problems are likely in your case, they won't prevent the engine from turning over.