Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backfire?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Blur Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
HanShan

2103 Genuine Blur 220i

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Backfire? Reply with quote

Blur 220!, 2013

Sometime, when I let go of the throttle, I hear a little "phoopht" sound. Assuming I am backfiring.

Plugs are clean and gapped at about .65.

Could it be the 93octane gas? Should I step down a grade?

Maybe not enough air, so maybe a new air filter?
PhillyKick

'17 Buddy Kick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kick makes a sound that would appear to be backfiring when I decelerate. I think it's pretty common with small engines, especially one with no o2 sensor. Octane has nothing to do with it. I kinda want the sports exhaust for my kick so I can hear it better.
HanShan

2103 Genuine Blur 220i

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhillyKick wrote:
My kick makes a sound that would appear to be backfiring when I decelerate. I think it's pretty common with small engines, especially one with no o2 sensor. Octane has nothing to do with it. I kinda want the sports exhaust for my kick so I can hear it better.

Cool. Weird thing is I never heard it before, just recently started. I have about 8000 miles on it.
Dooglas

Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhillyKick wrote:
My kick makes a sound that would appear to be backfiring when I decelerate. I think it's pretty common with small engines, especially one with no O2 sensor. Octane has nothing to do with it. I kinda want the sports exhaust for my kick so I can hear it better.

That has been my experience as well. Also true, though, that a bit of an air leak between the exhaust manifold and the muffler can cause backfiring.
PhillyKick

'17 Buddy Kick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dooglas wrote:
PhillyKick wrote:
My kick makes a sound that would appear to be backfiring when I decelerate. I think it's pretty common with small engines, especially one with no O2 sensor. Octane has nothing to do with it. I kinda want the sports exhaust for my kick so I can hear it better.

That has been my experience as well. Also true, though, that a bit of an air leak between the exhaust manifold and the muffler can cause backfiring.

I had a car (two, actually) that after a full throttle acceleration and letting off the gas, the engine mounts would flex enough to open a small air hole in the flex pipe, and it would backfire somewhat loudly (with visible flame, on occasion). After I replaced the flex pipe and motor mounts, no more backfires, even muffled by the exhaust system. I doubt that these engines are flexing that much, it may just be because of the smallness of the engine and the simplicity of the tuning and sensors.

HanShan

2103 Genuine Blur 220i

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhillyKick wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
PhillyKick wrote:

I had a car (two, actually) that after a full throttle acceleration and letting off the gas, the engine mounts would flex enough to open a small air hole in the flex pipe, and it would backfire somewhat loudly (with visible flame, on occasion). After I replaced the flex pipe and motor mounts, no more backfires, even muffled by the exhaust system. I doubt that these engines are flexing that much, it may just be because of the smallness of the engine and the simplicity of the tuning and sensors.

That is interesting though, since mine seems to do the exact thing, only after full throttle.

What would a similar location be on my bike to look for a leak? Somewhere before the muffler? I need to check my pipes anyway because they are kind of rusty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Blur Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: