Long Distances on a Roughhouse

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

badaja

Long Distances on a Roughhouse

Post by badaja »

Recently got a Roughhouse and boy am I loving it! Has anyone done longer rides on it? Is it not good to do long rides on a 50cc? I live in Denver and there's so much to do and see around here. I already did a 50 mile round trip out to Golden, CO.

Just curious how I should be treating my new two-wheeled best friend.
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Last summer one day my wife and I ventured off on a long trip to nowhere , both on 50cc's, hers a buddy, mine a roughhouse. We headed off, heading west, with a road atlas/gazetteer, and a change of clothes.Taking all little tiny backroads, it took us all day to get where we could have gotten in a couple hours in the car, but this adventure was so much more funner. Around 5ish pm we were in a fairly decent sized city, and figured we had better look for a hotel room for the night, only to find that every hotel was booked solid (it was a Saturday, in June, peak wedding season in WI). We headed further west another 20 miles or so, before turning back and heading towards our daughters place where we could spend the night, and arrived there just as it was getting dark. I wish I could remember how many miles we put on that day, I think it was upwards of 300 miles. Other than having a little bit of a sore ass (roughhouse seats aren't the softest),we had a great time, and no problems with either scooter. As a bonus I hit my first bird on the scooter on this trip, even saved a couple feathers for the scrapbook! The next day after sleeping at our daughters, we put on about 100 miles taking more backroads home. There's so much to see on a scooter that otherwise you wouldn't ever see, so I say take that scooter and just go.
I had between 800 and 900 miles on mine at the time of this ride, so it was broke in already, and I think the temp was at the most 80 degrees that day.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Get this to keep an eye on the temps and hit the road!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trail-Tech-TTO- ... 63?vxp=mtr
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Friend's blog. We do this stuff at least once a year.

https://adamdanger.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ed-falcon/
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

My version of the same ride. http://carlislecycleandscooter.blogspot ... alcon.html

We have another one planned this summer. 3 days of camping this time. ALL on 50's. Its all RH50's and a Kymco cobracross or two this year. Including climbing some pretty good mountains. You can do the trips on a 50cc.Just plan ahead and remember the ride is JUST as fun as the destination.
badaja

Thanks for the inspiration!

Post by badaja »

Appreciate the responses... you guys have officially inspired me!
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

pshaw. easy doings. I just did 110 miles last Saturday on an afternoon ride. The Roughhouse was begging for more roughhousing.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
FreeDivr

Post by FreeDivr »

I love these stories. I have been holding off until my first service to go on an overnighter....the time has arrived! Anybody on a RH in Northern CA?
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Like Viney and Todd said, I've done 300+ mile days on mine, and even my normal meetup spot to go ride with friends is an hour and two mountains away. It's a tough little machine, keep good oil in the rear and good oil in the premix tank- and just ride it. With a milk crate and some cheap universal saddlebags, it can carry a surprising amount of stuff for longer trips, so the sky is the limit (the roughhouse is not FAA approved and therefore should not be flown over the 500 ft altitude limit).
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Lotsa people take lotsa long rides on 50s. Yep!
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Been to Golden, CO back in the '70s on my Yamaha TX650. Toured Coors. Rode out with a bunch of people from college and did about 6000 miles in two weeks. CT to CO and back. . .Mesa Verde to Pikes Peak too! Although it rained all the way back home (ice pellets started at Pikes Peak) and the ride was a bit numbing to say the least. . .I'd do it again in a minute.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

A new one. The weather was NUTS...

topic29797.html
dusty roads

Post by dusty roads »

I often take my RH50 out on a sunny afternoon ride of 100-115 miles, and could easily extend it further if I wished (I'm 80 yrs old). I live and ride in a county referred to as "the Enchanted mountains". If you live in an area with more flatland you should easily do at least that. Derestriction made a world of difference. see below link for a sample of the Enchanted mountains:

http://enchantedmountains.com/tags/natu ... ives-views