Coming back to the scooter world

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

artfull dodger

Coming back to the scooter world

Post by artfull dodger »

I am in the process of coming back to the scooter world. Started out several years ago on a Honda Met 50cc, moved up to a Chinese 150cc and got my MC endorsement, then a 250cc Honda Helix before moving on to a Honda Rebel, then a Honda GL500I Silverwing Interstate Edition(baby gold wing). However, the wing just to heavy for me, I have issues holding up with one leg down at lights, espically if a crosswind kicks up, and backing myself up into the garage is almost impossible. So...its for sale and I am looking at scooters. I thought about going back to a Honda scooter, but the desire for a metal body and vintage look as led to to the Stella. I like the manual trans and the 2 stroke engine(despite its known issues). Being a small engine mechanic by trade, I have the tools to pretty much do anything on a scooter engine. Short of any specialized tools for that exact engine, I have it in my box. Now scooters of that style are a bit odd in this area, I know of none in town. Indianapolis, yes, but not in Kokomo that I have seen when out riding. But then I am an oddball. I have Asperger's Syndrome, a type of high functioning autism. For me the solitude while riding is golden, just the wind, the sounds of the scoot's engine(much more subdued when compared to most MC's). I also miss the scooter rides, not nearly as many(atleast locally) when compared to a MC ride. So not as overwhelming for me, as someone who struggles with all things social. The scooter guy and gals were also more accepting of me, where as I find many of the MC folks less so in my area. I am more apt to go to a Jazz or comedy club than the MC bars. I am hoping to have my Silverwing sold this weekend and am hunting for a Stella that isnt priced way beyond book value, which seems to be common around here. Mike
skipper20

Re: Coming back to the scooter world

Post by skipper20 »

artfull dodger wrote:I am in the process of coming back to the scooter world. Started out several years ago on a Honda Met 50cc, moved up to a Chinese 150cc and got my MC endorsement, then a 250cc Honda Helix before moving on to a Honda Rebel, then a Honda GL500I Silverwing Interstate Edition(baby gold wing). However, the wing just to heavy for me, I have issues holding up with one leg down at lights, espically if a crosswind kicks up, and backing myself up into the garage is almost impossible. So...its for sale and I am looking at scooters. I thought about going back to a Honda scooter, but the desire for a metal body and vintage look as led to to the Stella. I like the manual trans and the 2 stroke engine(despite its known issues). Being a small engine mechanic by trade, I have the tools to pretty much do anything on a scooter engine. Short of any specialized tools for that exact engine, I have it in my box. Now scooters of that style are a bit odd in this area, I know of none in town. Indianapolis, yes, but not in Kokomo that I have seen when out riding. But then I am an oddball. I have Asperger's Syndrome, a type of high functioning autism. For me the solitude while riding is golden, just the wind, the sounds of the scoot's engine(much more subdued when compared to most MC's). I also miss the scooter rides, not nearly as many(atleast locally) when compared to a MC ride. So not as overwhelming for me, as someone who struggles with all things social. The scooter guy and gals were also more accepting of me, where as I find many of the MC folks less so in my area. I am more apt to go to a Jazz or comedy club than the MC bars. I am hoping to have my Silverwing sold this weekend and am hunting for a Stella that isnt priced way beyond book value, which seems to be common around here. Mike
Welcome aboard Mike. If a Stella doesn't turn up, think about what inspired the Stella; an early 80s Vespa 200E. Manual shifting, all metal body and plenty of parts still available. Maybe a few $ more than a Stella but, hey, it's a Vespa. You'll be overcome with acceptance by the local scooter guys and gals!

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

Thanks for the welcome. I do watch for a Vespa to turn up, but most are way beyond my means. Kind of hoping one that is non running turns up at a price I can afford, then I will get it running again. Either a Stella or a Vespa. Just needs to be a 150 or larger CC. Don't want another 50cc scooter. The low income I am stuck with sucks. Makes affording anything a major project! Mike
Silly NT's....I have Asperger's!!!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Vintage styled and reliable, that would be a Buddy 125! Dont let the 125cc fool you as they are more than up to any task you throw at them. A bonus is they can be had for cheap! Stella's do pop up for fair prices (around here at least) but go pretty quick, so keeping cash stashed in a envelope is a smart move when one does pop up. Either one is a sold choice. Good reputations both backed by strong parts support.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

Whats others thoughts on an old Yamaha Riva 180? He had it running last year, wont start this year. SO could be carb or that expensive auto choke valve that is like $200 from Yamaha. He wants $350 for it with a new battery. Its also been resprayed flat black. Trying to find something cheap for now, then look for what I really want later this fall/winter. I start my new job next week, just not sure its going to work out with my disablity. The only way is to try it and find out. Mike
Daves Kick

Post by Daves Kick »

Welcome back, Mike! Silverwings are a lot of bike to handle. Smaller scooters are so much more fun and easy to navigate with. A Stella sounds like a lot of fun and I don't think it's possible to look at one and not smile!
I hope you find that right one soon! :)
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

Thanks, yes they are a lot of bike and a lot of heat that is just not fun anymore for me. I am still hoping for a Stella, running or not, that is a price I can manage or someone that will let me make payments on. I would trade the Silverwing towards a Stella as well. I think my potential buyer has flown the coup. I txted him to see if he was still interested in coming to see the bike tomorrow or Sunday, with no response. I just want to ride so bad right now, my anxiety is sky high and riding helps bring it down. I did take the SW out on an errand and it just did nothing for me with the heat and stuff. I am having a blast reading up on all the old posts here! Mike
Syd

Post by Syd »

artfull dodger wrote:Whats others thoughts on an old Yamaha Riva 180? He had it running last year, wont start this year. SO could be carb or that expensive auto choke valve that is like $200 from Yamaha. He wants $350 for it with a new battery. Its also been resprayed flat black. Trying to find something cheap for now, then look for what I really want later this fall/winter. I start my new job next week, just not sure its going to work out with my disablity. The only way is to try it and find out. Mike
Maybe az_slynch will see this topic and reply, but I remember him saying parts are near impossible to get. That's not good if you need a daily driver.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

I am still holding out that I can get my MC sold and find a Stella that I can afford somehow, without to much down time without a ride. I have my eyes on one on craigslist not to far away, and from my research, the asking prices for most any Stella are past book value by several hundred dollers. Still hoping someone fairly close to me has one that needs a new home and can work with me on it. Mike
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

The other Genuine scoot I like is the Italia version of the Buddy in either 125 or 170i version as the 50cc is to small engine wise. My new job is at the local Fiat/Chrysler factory. If all goes well and I make it thru the temp/probationary period and get full time, I will be looking at a newer car. I really like the AWD version of the Fiat 500. My wife is nearly full blooded Italian, her dad was full blood but mom wasn't. So I have grown to enjoy the Italian styles, traditions and food. I do plan to own a 200cc Vespa some day, but for now one of the Genuine's will be just fine. Just hung up trying to sell off my MC so I have funds to buy. Worst case, I will trade it in and order a Buddy 170i Itallia in a few months at the dealer in Indy. But hoping to be a on a scoot before the weather turns colder! Mike the Aspie
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

I just sold my motorcycle!!! Would have liked to have gotten more for it, but was getting no bites till I dropped the price. We are going to go look at a 1985 gold Honda Elite 250. Has windscreen, matching top case, factory Kenwood stereo(if it works/didn't ask), new tires and battery. Running and ready to ride. The asking price is below what I have in my pocket, so I have money to cover registration and taxes. Plus side is this will keep up with my wife's motorcycle. Down side is that it isnt a Stella/Vespa. But with my new job(if it works out), I will be able to afford to have more than 1 scooter. The Honda reliablity is second to none on thier scooters. I am also familiar with the engine/cvt set up as it is the same as my '86 Helix I used to own. Yes even the 250 Elite isnt a freeway runner, but I have to ask, if you own any scooter, why are you on the freeway??? Not sure if we are riding 2 up on her Magna so we can ride home, or taking her truck yet. Pics later if all goes well and I can figure how to post them with the photobucket issues. Mike the Aspie
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

I bought the old girl. Ran pretty good for not much use for the last several years, he was just putting around the lake they lived on. Was just over 80 miles to home. We stopped for dinner about 3/4 of the way home, on the final leg, she wouldn't get over 60mph at WOT, where before I was getting near 70 if I wanted to. I suspect the belt probably stretched and glazed a bit on the first part of the trip home. Who knows when it was last changed. I will change it shortly and check everything else down there while I am at it. BTDT on my Helix. Get up and go is excellent at the lower speeds. Just lost some of my top speed on the final leg of the trip home. Stereo was dead, but traced back to 2 blown fuses. Works great, but missing the clear rubber boot that protects it from rain getting into the controler that mounts on the glove box door. Anybody got one of those laying around?? I have a zip lock baggie to cover it for now as I plan to commute to work and it will set outside in the weather all day. A cover is planned, but that is a month or so away. Was a great ride home, his choice in tires wouldn't be my first, more of an aggressive tread like you might see on a Honda Ruckus and not this model. I will run them till they are shot then go with some Michelins. Mike
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Congratulations. Glad you are on a scooter again and enjoying it. Yes, the Elite is a solid bike . At 30+ years old, though, you should probably expect that there are any number of service and upgrade jobs to be done. Have fun!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Congrats! Great scooter thats fun to ride! The first thing that I would change is the reduction box gear oil. It seems no one ever does it, and if that oil runs low or starts to break down bad things happen. And change the valve stems when you do the tires just to play it safe.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

Previous owner put on brand new Bridgestone Molas L50's front and back with new metal 90' valve stems last summer. Both were quite low on air, that being the main reason she didn't want to get up to full speed. I have gone over the scoot, oil looks new as he said it was, tires aired up to spec, new cvt belt ordered anyways and I will change the reduction box oil when I have the cover off to get to the belt as it blocks access to the drain plug when its on the scoot. Will also look at the clutch and roller condition while its apart since she has age and just over 17K miles on her. Been riding to work and having a blast, Stereo works excellent after replacing 2 blown fuses. I bet it got wet as the clear rubber boot is missing off the top of the tuner that mounts to the front of the glove box. Looking for this part now, or something that isnt as tacky as a baggie over the tuner. Debating where to mount my pair of 2.5 inch amber fog lamps, quite dark out when I go to work in the early morning hours, even in the middle of summer. Mike