What do you guys use for a sound system?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Daves Kick

What do you guys use for a sound system?

Post by Daves Kick »

Other than the sweet sound of a scooter engine, is anyone supplementing their ride with tunes?
I use a JBL speaker for slow rides around Little Muskego Lake.
Attachments
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG (136.47 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
Remous

Post by Remous »

Are those just velcro straps you are using around the speaker? i have a little bluetooth polk swimmer speaker but on my buddy you can barley hear it. I can hear it pretty well though on my kymco super 8.
Daves Kick

Post by Daves Kick »

I took two 8 inch strip of double sided Velcro (prickly on one side, fuzzy on the other, and wrapped each strip around one side of the cylindrical JBL Flip 4 speaker, soft fuzzy side up. I then took about a foot and a half of that same double sided Velcro and made a strap that went through both looped Velcro rings I made. This length created a strap that hung off the little grocery hook on the Buddy Kick. A pretty strong strap, BTW.
I took two strips of prickly Velcro with adhesive backing and put them on the panel the speaker would rest against, just to secure it so it wouldn't swing about.
The speaker's position and placement makes it fit snugly in the Buddy's tray compartment and also allows a good deal of the output to go in my direction when moving.
Sound quality is good up to 35 mph and then gradually decreases to indiscriminate noise by 45/50 mph.
I'm sure if I had the JBL extreme, it would blast louder, but for casual scooting, this works pretty good for me.
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

My GF has an Altec Lansing lifejacket, which fits perfectly in her 125's legshield storage. Perfect for doing the "cupid shuffle" at red lights :D

Best,
-Slashy
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

I use a Bluetooth headset in my helmet and it works much better than the portable (or built-in) speakers solution. That way I get great fidelity with my music with no significant distortion from wind or engine noise. Also, I don't have to take anything with me when I switch bikes since I always wear the same helmet. I can share my music with my wife's helmet visit the intercom system when we ride together and, lastly, I'm not inflicting my music on anyone else while sitting at stop lights/stop signs.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I hope you have good taste in music. :lol:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

cummingsjc wrote:.... and, lastly, I'm not inflicting my music on anyone else while sitting at stop lights/stop signs.
WINNER.

Around here, it's Harley's blasting the butt rock at the red light then blasting engine noise - because they think I need to hear them a mile away.

:roll:

I always wear a FF helmet w/ ear plugs, so a speaker would have to be blasting for me to enjoy it.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

I have the same Polk bluetooth speaker. I use it at the beach attached to my umbrella. It's terrific! How do you attach it to your bike(s)? I have both Buddies and Kymcos.

Remous wrote:Are those just velcro straps you are using around the speaker? i have a little bluetooth polk swimmer speaker but on my buddy you can barley hear it. I can hear it pretty well though on my kymco super 8.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
Daves Kick

Post by Daves Kick »

I have a Nolan 44 with an integrated bluetooth stereo system that I typically wear when riding on my Harley, but I guess I like to "dress down" when riding on my Buddy Kick around the neighborhood but I'd still like the option for music.
I agree that the helmet is the least publicly obnoxious (and safest) option, but then again, if I know I'm not dealing with anybody else on a slow country road, I like the JBL at 20-30 mph.
I'm not debating the safety cons of this option, just saying what I LIKE to do, and the configuration that I came up with.
The speaker doesn't attach to the scooter, but is suspended by a strap from the hook and then secured with heavy duty velcro tabs designed to keep the speaker from swinging around.
skipper20

Re: What do you guys use for a sound system?

Post by skipper20 »

Daves Kick wrote:Other than the sweet sound of a scooter engine, is anyone supplementing their ride with tunes?
This is a personal choice thing. I don't wish to be distracted by loud music overpowering road and exhaust noise so I leave the "tunes" at home. Thanks for your understanding.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
Daves Kick

Post by Daves Kick »

I hear you, Bill!
I should clarify that I am generally on private property or isolated country if I play tunes as I don't want to be obnoxious.
Of course, wearing my Nolan helmet with my Bluetooth intercom playing music prevents hearing engine noise too.
So many ways to approach a ride. Personal choice is a good thing.
dckick

Post by dckick »

I keep my Powerbeats in under my helmet. Works for me.
dckick

Post by dckick »

Daves Kick wrote:Other than the sweet sound of a scooter engine, is anyone supplementing their ride with tunes?
Can you provide the link for the cell phone holder?
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

dckick wrote:
Can you provide the link for the cell phone holder?
It is a Ram Mount X-Grip with mounting hardware. Google it or go to Amazon to find the best combination of mounts and hardware that will work for your particular needs.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

i like your setup...i'm working on mine at the moment...trying to get the speaker angled up towards my face...the sound quality is surprisingly good when loud and near a busy road but i need to test on the scooter at speed......i'm not a fan of earbuds or in helmet tunes

speaker...+ either ipod or bluetooth to iphone radio...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073B ... UTF8&psc=1
Attachments
img_0235_195.jpg
img_0235_195.jpg (173.48 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
Last edited by Point37 on Wed May 09, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Shoei Neotec with built in com system. I'm ready to buy the Neotec 2
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Nintari

Post by Nintari »

I like to "tune out" when I ride. It's one of the few times when I can really just disconnect from everything and everyone and get into my little "zone". I don't think I'd like to listen to music while riding for that reason alone.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

I use one of these connected to a first generation iPod in my pocket.. mostly I listen to FM radio so I can listen to Rush while I scoot around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-3-5mm-Moto ... 28160dfea7

The best part is that I have radio and music no matter which of my scooters I am riding.. I don't have to fool around with moving the sound system.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

if anyone ever wants to go to bluetooth for an ipod that isn't bluetooth...

3.5mm bluetooth transmitter/receiver
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EH ... UTF8&psc=1

bluetooth ipod transmitter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S ... UTF8&psc=1

i have both of the above...the top one i actually used a splitter on my 3.5mm wire from my soundbar on my tv so i can transmit the audio to a pair of noise cancelling bluetooth headphones below and just turn the volume down on the tv for when the baby is sleeping...i use the same bluetooth headphones with the 2nd transmitter on my 5th gen ipod video...next i need to get a bluetooth pair of 3m worktunes for grass cutting...the ones i have now are either radio or wired aux input

the only thing about wireless stuff is you're introducing more batteries or battery drain...top transmitter/receiver has a battery...bottom transmitter feeds off the ipod battery...plus the bluetooth headphones have a battery...so you almost need to bring a battery pack and chargers for prolonged use...sometimes wired stuff is just easier

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075C ... UTF8&psc=1
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Nintari wrote:I like to "tune out" when I ride. It's one of the few times when I can really just disconnect from everything and everyone and get into my little "zone". I don't think I'd like to listen to music while riding for that reason alone.
I totally agree. When I was riding, I was also in my own little "zone". Music, or any sounds in my ears other than the natural flow of traffic around me would have been very distracting.

Bill in Seattle
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I wear earplugs when I ride. So I can't hear very much.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

k1dude wrote:I wear earplugs when I ride. So I can't hear very much.
Me too ;)
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Like many of us, I listen to the voices in my head. :D
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

THIS. Protect your hearing, people - when it's gone, it's gone.

Side note: The only thing worse than Harvey Danielson's with straight pipes are one with loud, treble-heavy sound systems blaring butt rock.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

JettaKnight wrote:
THIS. Protect your hearing, people - when it's gone, it's gone.

Side note: The only thing worse than Harvey Danielson's with straight pipes are one with loud, treble-heavy sound systems blaring butt rock.
i never used to wear hearing protection when i was running a chainsaw or lawnmower and now i do all the time now that i got a pair of 3m worktunes...i never rode my motorcycle or skiied with ear plugs though cause they wouldn't stay in my ear but i always had a helmet that covered my ears 3/4 or full face which took care of a lot of the wind noise (which is the major issue at higher speeds or in windy weather, not so much a loud exhaust where the sound is coming out behind you)...then i picked up some custom molded radians to double up with my hearing protection for shooting...i haven't tried using them with the scooter yet though for the wind cause i'm not typically going to far plus the over ear helmet and stock exhaust which is as loud as a sewing machine which makes it pretty much the same as driving your car with your windows down...and i don't think i've ever seen anyone driving their car with ear plugs in worried about wind damage...for longer rides at speed i would probably throw them in my pocket though depending on the weather and speeds i plan to ride at...some protection is better than none

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-R ... +ear+plugs
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Do you have a windscreen? My Buddy windscreen really throws a lot of turbulent air right at my head which makes it much louder.

Of course, I'm the guy wearing big ear muffs when mowing my lawn.

As an amateur audio engineer, hearing is very important to me.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

JettaKnight wrote:Do you have a windscreen? My Buddy windscreen really throws a lot of turbulent air right at my head which makes it much louder.

Of course, I'm the guy wearing big ear muffs when mowing my lawn.

As an amateur audio engineer, hearing is very important to me.
i don't have a windscreen on mine cause i probably won't be riding it too far and if i was worried about the wind i'll wear my full face arai helmet...plus the bigger the windshield on a windy day it will act like a sail...i live near the water so this is a typical condition around here