recovering from an unintended storage: checklist?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Edwub

recovering from an unintended storage: checklist?

Post by Edwub »

Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted. Long story for the why and how I disappeared, but my beloved Blur sat for a full year, unridden, as a side effect. It was in perfect condition when this happened (serviced with belt change a month before this, and had a new dash put in literally a week before).

I'll buy a new battery on Amazon. (Had it unhooked after a few months, pretty sure it died). The gas is certainly super bad.

It was under a carport with a scooter cover on, out of direct sunlight and rain but "outdoors" in California so temperature was always 50-100*F.

I'm unable to work on it myself physically, but I can get it towed to a local shop. They told me that if I'm lucky, it's just an engine flush cycle and new gas and only $75 for an hour of labor.

With the fuel-injection for Blurs, what should I expect if I'm unlucky? I mean, I'd probably want belts and parts checked, an oil change, etc too, wouldn't I? Any thoughts would be appreciated, and I hope ya'll have been doing well!
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

I would put a new battery in it and give it a start. Chances are it will fire right up. I got a buddy that had sat for years. It only had 300 miles on it. I put a battery in it and it took a little bit of cranking but it fired up even with 6 year old gas. By the time I was 4 miles down the road, it was running just fine. I filled up with fresh gas, added some sea foam and it's been fine ever since. My other buddy sat for 2 years. Again, started right up with a fresh battery and I've been going ever since. Your scooter was in perfect condition when you left it, there is no reason to suspect that it is different now. An early oil change would not hurt. I think we spend too much time and money worrying about problems that are not there. Only get a tow and spend $75 if you have to.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You should siphon the old fuel out. Be sure you don't have sludge / rust sitting in the tank. I agree with the above post. Fresh fuel and some sea foam. Fuel injection is much kinder to you than a carb when sitting.