New Carburetor

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pricey_21

New Carburetor

Post by pricey_21 »

I have had lots of problems with my 2006 buddy 125 sputtering and struggling while I give it gas. I have decided to replace the carburetor on it but to be honest Im not sure what to get. I am looking for an aftermarket carb as I dont want to spend $200+ on the original. If anyone has bought an aftermarket carb before or knows of one that works for a 2006 buddy 125? any help is greatly appreciated![/b]
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The carbs on our Buddys' are pretty simple and can be easily taken apart and cleaned. The one on my 2006 Blur is pretty much the same as yours and it has at least 20K miles on it. Still running fine.

Of course, different operating environments may cause problems so if you're going to replace yours, eBay has many to chose from that vary in price from very inexpensive to relatively expensive, ranging in price from about $20 to $140. I'm almost certain that all of the cheap ones are made in China, if that matters to you. The stock carb is 24mm, so look for one of those.
Here's the caveat, your stock carb is a high quality carb, equivalent to the $110 to $140 carbs found on eBay. What's the difference, you may ask? Look carefully at the pictures I posted. The cheap one is the one with the shiny metal top cover. The better one has a black plastic top cover, just like your original one. But the main difference is the expensive one has an accelerator pump (circled in red) whereas the cheap one does not. I'm sure there are differences in material and assembly quality too, but the main thing is the accelerator pump. The accelerator pump allows for crisper and faster throttle response and acceleration, especially from a dead stop. It does this by squirting some fuel into the venturi every time the throttle is twisted open. This helps enrichen the fuel charge to prevent bogging when the throttle is opened suddenly like from a dead stop.
It's funny how the sellers of the cheap carbs try to hide the metal top covers by wrapping it with hoses and wiring, so I suspect they know the difference too.

On eBay, search for: "gy6 carburetor, 24mm"
Attachments
Cheap 24mm carb
Cheap 24mm carb
cheap24mm.jpg (47.37 KiB) Viewed 277 times
Good 24mm carb with accelerator pump
Good 24mm carb with accelerator pump
good24mm.jpg (17.88 KiB) Viewed 277 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

That was a good explanation, Babblefish. I didn't know that info. Thanks
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Sounds like your carb probably just needs a good rebuild.