Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stella 2T Oil Sight Glass (gauge) keeps breaking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Clipper

Stella 2005 2T

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Stella 2T Oil Sight Glass (gauge) keeps breaking? Reply with quote

I've ridden my 2005 Stella for years with no issues. One day I noticed my sight glass had broken. I thought maybe I'd kicked with the heel of my boot or something.

It was easily replaced. Then it broke again just a few weeks later. Replaced that one. And again! I'm losing my mind and now I know I'm not kicking the glass with heel. I ride in the city and hit potholes every now and again.

I'm wondering if the tank isn't lined up correctly or if it's too low or too high and a pothole puts enough stress on it to break it?

How do I check the proper tank orientation? Or is it something else?

It's driving me nuts.
Clipper

Stella 2005 2T

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a custom aluminum unbreakable sight glass from 2nd Ave. Scooters for $49. I had a super fast response from them. It should arrive tomorrow. I'd still like to know why it was happening. Maybe the replacements were junk?

http://2ndavenuescooters.com/?p=6818

[/img]
Clipper

Stella 2005 2T

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New sight glass installed. It's pretty sweet.
jimmbomb

81 Vespa P200... past bikes. 08 stella 09 stella w/p200 motor and 2010 4t stella

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it does look pretty sweet, it's the first time I've ever seen one of those. I don't know if I would have spent the 50 bones for it though but I am a cheap bastard

J H
Clipper

Stella 2005 2T

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmbomb wrote:
Yeah it does look pretty sweet, it's the first time I've ever seen one of those. I don't know if I would have spent the 50 bones for it though but I am a cheap bastard

I'm a cheap bastard too. I went through four plastic ones since May. At $16 with shipping it was getting out of hand.

Maybe I stepped on the original? I'm 6'4". I it replaced and the next one broke a week later. Then two more. My commute isn't long, it's about four miles, but there are some potholes and I can drive with, let's call it 'enthusiasm.'

My current theory is that I may have misaligned the oil tank installing the second one, putting pressure on the sight glass and going over a pothole caused it to crack.

That or someone has been sneaking into my garage at night.

If anyone has a better idea I'm all ears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Stella Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: