New (to me) RH50 Owner--impressed

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chachamooby

New (to me) RH50 Owner--impressed

Post by chachamooby »

Hello Everyone! Just wanted to say 2 things really. First of all--To all of you lurkers out there thinking about one of these scooters--DO IT! I purchased a used RH50 with 5000 miles (!) on it and couldn't be happier. I was a little hesitant since so many miles, but the thing starts right away--runs like a top, and just needed some TLC to look a little newer.
Secondly-- Hello to all of you moderators and current owners on this board. There have been numerous helpful questions/answers which eased my fears about being without help if I needed it. You guys are great!
I've ordered a new drive belt and some 7 gram Dr. Pulley weights to install.
Will let you guys know what difference (good or bad) it makes. I'm "only" getting 40mph by the speedometer for a top speed and was hoping for maybe 42-43 actual. Will be in touch.
Thank you all again.
chachamooby

follow up

Post by chachamooby »

Yesterday I installed the 7 gram Dr.Pulley weights and a Bando belt. The weights made the low speed acceleration slightly better but the top speed is 1mph less. little disappointed actually. I'm getting 40mph by the speedometer and hoped it would "go to the P" like one of the members bikes does... Thought the belt was slipping or the weights were worn--but not the culprit. I guess It's just down on power. Unless someone has other suggestions, I suppose I'll save up for a big bore kit.
AJ
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Have you checked to see if ll the restriction parts are out? That would be an exhaust flow restrictor in between the muffler and engine and an extra washer in the variator assembly.
KooK

Post by KooK »

my RH only barely hits the 40 mark too. sad to say, i am too jealous of those that are getting faster readings. i replaced my rollers with 6.g gram Dr. pulley sliders and they made it run better. sadly mine is in the shop right now with the beautiful weather we are having. so enjoy the hell out of it!! it is an awesome scooter. i just wish it went just a little faster.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

My 10 year old Black Cat will routinely get 45 MPH indicated on level ground given a bit of time to get up to speed. I have hit 50 MPH going down hill.
chachamooby

follow up

Post by chachamooby »

Good question. Yes sir I did check for those right away.-No restrictions--there's a standard exhaust washer and no extra washer in the transmission. Think its just a little tired. A college student rode it hard for 4 years. Might of had a little neglect at some point. Still runs amazing. I ran 40 miles around town this weekend and it never missed a beat. I'm really having a blast. I have a Yamaha FZ1 sitting next to it. I suppose it's silly to worry about 5 mph on the scooter--but it sure would make it safer around my area.
Thanks--glad to see others still active on this site. :D
chachamooby

follow up

Post by chachamooby »

cummingsjr--see--that's what I'm talking about!! 45 on level ground would be perfect!! Lucky.
chachamooby

Post by chachamooby »

kook-- Sorry to hear that. Hope it gets fixed soon! Keep us informed.
Good luck.
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

Two things:

1) Mine is a 2015 with just about 4k miles on it and I can get the needle up to 48 to 50 MPH on a flat with no wind. . .actual speed probably around 45 MPH tops. I weigh around 250 lbs.

2) Maybe it's my imagination but I swear it runs better when the weather is cooler and less humid.

Occasionally I get some gas in my air filter cover and so far it seems to happen when I'm WOT on very windy days. . .

I'm thinking the fuel is trying to feed faster through the carb than the motor can handle it. Not sure, but I haven't seen any indication of leaks from the gas tank or fuel filter. Just know that it seems to happen when the winds are intense. If it continues to happen I may take the carb apart to see if the needle or floats are defective. I do know that the last time I detected gas coming from the bottom seam of the air cleaner cover I had just filled the gas tank earlier that day. . .but definitely not above the flat metal ring in the tank.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Chachamooby,
Do you know if the spark plug has been changed out from the original one? Maybe it's not firing cleanly enough to generate full power.
chachamooby

plug--and another possibility

Post by chachamooby »

Thanks Cummingsjr--I went to the store and purchased the NGK plug specified--gapped it and installed. I also checked the air filter and did routine stuff--
The scoot really starts instantly, runs terrific--just seems to not be quite as powerful as others.
So today I found 2 other things--The clamp that holds the airbox on is missing the screw--getting one tomorrow and the FRONT BRAKE IS DRAGGING!! I'm going to take that apart tomorrow after work and clean the piston up and bleed it. Fingers crossed that I can at least hit the actual 40 mph mark. (GPS says 35 on the dot). After that it's on to modifications. I really love how well it starts and is reliable. When I do the mods--I'm thinking a BBK (72cc)--rejet and leave the stock pipe and airbox.
I'll be looking for some guidance on the selection of components and set up when the time comes.
Unless fixing the brake does the trick!
will keep you posted.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I have one with a 70 kit with stock pipe and carb and I love it. Just about perfect. It pulls nice everywhere and rolls at 45-50 anywhere I ask it to.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
KooK

Post by KooK »

might want to check this out. https://www.scooterworks.com/Performanc ... 12689.aspx

looks like a great upgrade
chachamooby

Update

Post by chachamooby »

So first of thank you guys for the suggestions. viney266 that 70 kit,with the stock pipe and carb sound exactly like what I am looking for. If you remember the kit, any extra items you ended up needing--I would very much appreciate the info.
Kook-I may want a pipe in the future but I like how quiet it is now. Pipe is probably the smartest choice but---I never claimed to be all that. :shock:
I did come up with a nifty trick to get the brake caliper back on. And yes it took me quite alot of patience. When you've made sure that the caliper and pads are in correctly and you're ready to slide it back on the disk---get a drinking straw--like the kind from MickeyDee's and shove it between the pads to hold them open. push it up from the bottom, When you get the disk started--pull it out. Worked really well!!!
BTW--scooter runs EXACTLY the same speed as yesterday after I tightened down the airbox to the carb and disassembled, cleaned, bled the front brake....oh well---I need to save up for that BBK that Viney266 has.
chachamooby

Update!! BBK installed and it's great!

Post by chachamooby »

First off thanks to vinney266 and cummingsjc and agrogod VERY MUCH. Your help and questions have been right on the money. I have to apologize to cummingsjc for claiming there were no restrictions. I was wrong.There was in fact an exhaust restriction still in place even though I had stuck my finger in there to feel for it-- I had missed it....... later when I pulled the exhaust pipe completely off I saw the restriction. Well I ran it without the restriction and it ran GPS 42mph. Made me wonder if I had wasted my money on the BBK. But I'm glad I bought it. I decided to install the kit. What the heck, If I was careful I could always put it back like it was and run 42mph--so I installed the malossi 70 iron bbk with the supplied reeds. I also up jetted to a whopping 100 main. I had to adjust the low speed screw to 3/4 of a turn from full in. I shimmed the needle with a very small washer. Stock air box, stock de-restricted exhaust (now), otherwise stock carb, new belt and DR Pulley 7g sliders.
I put 1.5 oz of oil in the full tank of gas also. I figured I might drown the poor thing in gas and oil but I didn't want to burn it up.
So all buttoned up--took several 5 second attempts to start--had to fill the float bowl I guess. But it fired right up and idled. Truly a rewarding experience!!
I have put around 150 miles on it making sure to vary the throttle. I'm super happy with it.
It accelerates MUCH quicker--straight up to 45mph then tops out at 47. I am amazed at the transformation. I HIGHLY recommend this kit. This thing is way more fun than stock--and stock was great :D
I'm getting a pretty dirty plug but no rough running. I'm going to run another tank through it with only 1 oz of extra oil in the gas. Will lower the main jet to 95 then 90 after another tank or 2.
I am not interested in going any quicker or faster at this time. I would be elated if it holds together as is. That's my plan. Will be in touch. Thanks again everyone.
AJ
2002 Yamaha FZ-1
Baja Doodle bug :)
chachamooby

an update on my big block install

Post by chachamooby »

Just wanted to give an update on the install after running it nearly 1000 miles. I ended up with a 95 main jet and 1 small shim on the needle that i made from a soda can. It starts first kick. it will pull the front wheel up, and hauls a$$ up to top speed. I am super happy with it. Thanks to all you guys for all the help and guidance. Keep on scooting!!
AJ
2002 Yamaha FZ-1
Baja Doodle bug :)
dusty roads

Post by dusty roads »

I got my 2015 new leftover Roughhouse at the end of April. In that 3.5 months I have put about 1865 miles on it. I got it derestricted at nearly 500 miles.
Before derestriction it would read about 40 mph on the speedometer (I don't have a GPS).
Now it easily hits 50 mph on the level, but on good running I hold it to about 45. On some of the tough hills around here, I would get down to 5-7 mph near the top, now on those same hills I am hitting 18-20.
Initially I thought acceleration had improved, but on further use I doubt it has.
I had thought I would run the 50cc for a while and then go to a 125 or 150cc.
Now, I am happy with the Rh just the way it is.
Word of caution: I live in the "enchanted mountains" area in NY so there is often some hill climbing involved. Last Friday I was doing some of what I call "hill skipping". That is getting a good run down one hill so as to scoot right up the next. I was going down one hill and giving it about half throttle. The speedo was reading over in the gray about where 60 mph would be...when suddenly my exhaust got much louder. I finished my ride (about 2 miles), and got home to find I had blown the cover off my second filter. No problem, and I put it back on...but I will now keep it nearer the 50 mph (speedometer) when going downhill.