Troubleshooting tips for my Roughouse to start?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mikethegreat

Troubleshooting tips for my Roughouse to start?

Post by mikethegreat »

Hello, so I have been riding my 2016 Genuine Roughhouse scooter on and off this summer - I have just returned from a 3 week vacation and the scooter won't start now :/

Here's a description of what's happening:

When I put the key into on position and try to ignition, there is no "turnover" at all in the engine.

The battery I thought was the issue at first, but it's totally charged and I did so with a battery tender.

I've tried to kickstart it and put some gas but that doesn't seem to make a difference either. If there is something I should attempt to get the scooter to start, please let me know!

The gas tank has about a half tank.

Also please let me know if there's anything I'm unclear on.

Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Check to see that the button on your right bar isn't flipped to the off position. And you are squeezing a brake right?
By turnover, do you mean the engine wont crank at all, or its cranking, but not firing?
mikethegreat

Post by mikethegreat »

hmm it's not the kill switch, but good thought as I hadn't checked that before.

So when I try to have ignition, it's not cranking or firing at all. Hmm, seems to be an electrical issue... I'm a bit of a noob with this stuff so I might have to call a repair place.

Thanks for the help though!
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

If you are getting no electricity when you turn the key it might be the battery contacts are corroded. Unscrew the battery posts and check the contacts to see if there is any corrosion building up. You might try rubbing them with some fine grit sandpaper and then put a bit of dielectric grease on them before putting everything back together.

Also, when you say your battery is "totally charged" did you check this with a multimeter or are just assuming it is totally charged because you had it on a battery tender?
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

When you turn on the key, is anything coming on such as the gauge cluster or lights (however weakly)?
chachamooby

non start

Post by chachamooby »

if the lights come on but won't crank than the battery might just be weak.
if lights come on than try this--
--I know this sounds odd but try putting more gas in it--really almost full.
If mine sits, and the gas gauge says half or less, it won't start.
Fill it up and watch it go--kick start it.
If no lights than the battery has a bad connection or the ignition switch is mucked up--could anyone have tried to take it while you were away?
AJ
2002 Yamaha FZ-1
Baja Doodle bug :)
mikethegreat

Post by mikethegreat »

Yeah that seemed to fix the issue somehow! I also did just kind of put the kill switch on and off a few times and sure enough, it's starting now!

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate the help!