Buddy 170 fuel tank

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

iwannascoot

Buddy 170 fuel tank

Post by iwannascoot »

I really wish my Buddy had a larger gas tank. I rarely leave town on it but it seems that stopping every 100 miles is a bit inconvenient. I wish they had installed a larger tank. I think it is actually a good thing that my biggest problem with my scoot is the size of the tank. I have thoroughly enjoyed riding it for over 3000 miles. It has been flawless and performs perfectly.

Billy
Argee

170i gas tank is too small for me, too

Post by Argee »

My one-way trip to work is 13 miles, and it's an isolated place with one gas station. Sometimes, the station is closed. I keep a gallon at work, but I'm thinking about installing an auxiliary bottle of gas on the front of the seat base. I think I can recess it about 2".
Attachments
buddy aux gas bottle.jpg
buddy aux gas bottle.jpg (45.22 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

I carry extra fuel in a Seafoam fuel treatment bottle also. I just wish it had a 2 gallon tank.

Billy
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

The other day I had to stop 4 times for gas on a long trip. I too wish the Buddy had a bigger tank.
skipper20

Re: Buddy 170 fuel tank

Post by skipper20 »

iwannascoot wrote:I really wish my Buddy had a larger gas tank. I rarely leave town on it but it seems that stopping every 100 miles is a bit inconvenient. I wish they had installed a larger tank. I think it is actually a good thing that my biggest problem with my scoot is the size of the tank. I have thoroughly enjoyed riding it for over 3000 miles. It has been flawless and performs perfectly.

Billy
Flawless and perfect performance outscores fuel tank size anytime. Very few, if any, scooters the size of the Buddy have fuel tanks greater than 1.4 gallons. Despite the Buddy's official specs, it's actual tank size is more like 1.1 gallons. It's just something we've all learned to live with. Again, I'll take reliability and performance over fuel tank size anytime.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

I would sacrifice under seat storage for a bigger tank. If I can't fit a full size helmet in there, which I can't, the size really doesn't matter.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I ran my scoot out once just to see and I filled it up with 1.3 gallons.
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

I totally ran out after my first fill up and pushed my Buddy into a gas station. It held 1.545 gallons. I didn't think it held that much but unless the pump was measuring wrong that is what it held. I really thought it was about 1.2 gallons. I ran out again and between my reserve gas I keep under the seat and what I added at the gas station, I put in a total of 1.427 gallons. I just need to go fill up more often than I would like. 200 miles between fill ups would be so nice.

Let me repeat that I love my Buddy and it has been absolutely perfect for me without a single problem so I should not be complaining. I'm not actually complaining, just wishing for more range.

You can see my fuel history on Fuelly if you have any interest.

Billy
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

iwannascoot wrote:I totally ran out after my first fill up and pushed my Buddy into a gas station. It held 1.545 gallons. I didn't think it held that much but unless the pump was measuring wrong that is what it held. I really thought it was about 1.2 gallons. I ran out again and between my reserve gas I keep under the seat and what I added at the gas station, I put in a total of 1.427 gallons. I just need to go fill up more often than I would like. 200 miles between fill ups would be so nice.

Let me repeat that I love my Buddy and it has been absolutely perfect for me without a single problem so I should not be complaining. I'm not actually complaining, just wishing for more range.

Billy
Please don't make it a habit of running completely out of gas if your engine has FI. It's really bad for the fuel pump since it is cooled and lubricated by the fuel. You can potentially greatly reduce it's life when it runs dry. Just a FYI.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

iwannascoot wrote:I totally ran out after my first fill up and pushed my Buddy into a gas station. It held 1.545 gallons. I didn't think it held that much but unless the pump was measuring wrong that is what it held. I really thought it was about 1.2 gallons. I ran out again and between my reserve gas I keep under the seat and what I added at the gas station, I put in a total of 1.427 gallons. I just need to go fill up more often than I would like. 200 miles between fill ups would be so nice.

Billy
Don't be fooled. The pump was incorrectly set to oversell you. The most you can squeeze in to a Buddy's tank is 1.2 gallons and that really takes some squeezing. You should report this to the weights and measures dept. of your municipality. They'll come out to the station and do an actual test. If they find that the station owner is overselling they'll be fined and warned to cease and desist.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan 170i Matte Green
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I regularly put 1.18 gallons in my 170i and there's fuel left in the tank. I think the advertised tank size is correct. Never run it out, thankfully.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.